Assistant Professor in English (Composition/Secondary Education)
- Location details
- Huntsville, Texas
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Composition and rhetoric
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
The Department of English at Sam Houston State University seeks applications for one Assistant Professor of Composition. The 9-month, tenure-track position starts with the Fall 2020 semester.
The successful applicant must possess the following:
• A Ph.D. with specialization in composition as evidenced by 18 graduate hours in composition/ rhetoric by Aug. 17, 2020
• Evidence of an active research agenda in composition or writing at the secondary level. This may include dual enrollment, K-16 reform, pedagogy, and teacher training.
• Experience teaching (as the instructor of record) college-level courses in composition
• Evidence of excellent communication skills In addition to the above requirements, candidates with secondary school experience in English or experience working with projects such as the National Writing Project are preferred.
The chosen candidate will teach three courses per semester. Courses will include composition courses at all levels, as well as pedagogy and methods courses at both the undergraduate and graduate level. The candidate will provide service to the department by preparing students for the state certification exam for secondary English teachers, working with the College of Education certification staff. The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Sam Houston State University is strongly committed to adiverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the academic community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced.
The college welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. Interested applicants should apply online at https://shsu.peopleadmin.com/hr/postings/23160. The application will require the following materials:
• Letter of interest that includes the scope of a research agenda • Statement of teaching philosophy
• Statement of diversity and inclusion, specifically addressing qualifications and strategies for engaging all students at SHSU
• Curriculum vitae
• Three letters of recommendation • Academic transcripts documenting all graduate coursework (Applicants may submit unofficial graduate transcripts for initial screening; however, official transcripts for all academic course work are required for credential review prior to hiring.) •
For ABD applicants: A letter from your dissertation director confirming that the PhD will be conferred by August 17, 2020. Additional materials may be requested throughout the consideration process.
More search results
The City College of New York
Visiting Lecturer in Russian
Associate or Assistant Professor- Tenure System
Michigan State University
President's Excellence Chair in Network Cultures
Department of English Language and Literatures, University of British Columbia
Assistant Professor in Second Language Acquisitio…
Connecticut College (Hispanic Studies Department)