- California State University, Fullerton
- Location details
- Fullerton, CA
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Department of Modern Languages & Literatures
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The Department of Modern Languages & Literatures at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure‐track Assistant Professor position in Japanese with a focus on Japanese language pedagogy. The subfield of specialization is open.
California State University, Fullerton is a minority-serving institution, and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. Candidates who can contribute to this goal through their teaching, research, advising, and other activities are encouraged to identify their strengths and experiences in this area. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
CSUF faculty are committed teacher/scholars who bring research and creative discovery to life for students in classrooms, labs, studios, and individually mentored projects. They teach broadly in the curricula of their departments, advise students, and serve on departmental and university-wide committees. The primary responsibilities of the person in this position will include the development and teaching of introductory and core courses in the discipline, and the development of courses in the area(s) of specialization. Specific courses that this person will teach include all levels of Japanese, but primarily upper-division courses in Japanese language. This person will also be responsible for producing scholarship / creative work commensurate with the requirements for tenure. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities.
- Native or near-native proficiency in Japanese
- Strong communication skills in English
- Ph.D. in Japanese or a related field
- ABDs may apply, but must show evidence that the degree will be completed by the appointment date. If ABD, please have your dissertation committee chair provide a letter indicating your progress to date and detailing a timeline to completion.
- Specialization in Japanese language pedagogy
- Evidence of successful teaching experience at the college or university level
- A strong record of scholarly accomplishments appropriate to the level of appointment
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service
- Experience in working collaboratively with colleagues and community
- Demonstrated contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and service
- Additional background in areas such as the ACTFL proficiency standards, the Advanced Placement Japanese Language and Culture exams, or related fields is highly desirable
A complete on‐line application must be received by electronic submission in order to receive consideration. To apply, visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/ and select 493556 to begin the application process and provide the following required materials:
- Cover Letter in which you respond to the required qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research statement (approximately one to two pages, single-spaced)
- Teaching statement (approximately one to two pages, single-spaced)
- Diversity statement: Statement addressing past and/or future contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and service (approximately one to two pages, single-spaced)
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts (Unofficial transcripts to be accepted during application process; Official transcripts required upon start of appointment if selected)
- 2-3 Writing Samples (e.g., copies of published or forthcoming articles or book chapters, or dissertation chapters; Japanese and/or English – submit as single pdf)
- Representative Course Syllabi and Teaching Evaluation Summaries (submit as single pdf)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (see instructions below)
- On the References page of the online application, enter information for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Kazuha Watanabe, Department Search Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 657‐278‐3907.
To be assured full consideration, all application materials must be received by October 1, 2019.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start‐up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee‐waiver; access to campus child‐care; and a defined‐benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.php
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self‐disclose.
Application Review Begin Date: October 1, 2019
Job Number: 493556
Application Link: https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/fl/en-us/job/493556/assistant-professor-of-japanese
Work type: Instructional Faculty – Tenure-Track
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association
More search results
Assistant Professor, German Studies (TE) (Faculty)
University of Arizona
Assistant Professor of English (Tenure-Track Posi…
Assistant Professor of English and Cultural Studi…
Seattle Pacific University
Assistant Professor of Spanish
Endowed Chair in English Literacy/Full or Associa…
University of Arkansas Department of English