Lecturer/Supervisor of Beginning Level Spanish
- University of Minnesota, Department of Spanish & Portuguese Studies
- Location details
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- English, Spanish
- Cultural studies, Interdisciplinary, Language teaching, Linguistics
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies at the University of Minnesota invites applications for a full-time, non-tenure-track Lecturer and Supervisor of Beginning Spanish (alternate second semester, SPAN 1022) to begin Fall 2021. Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Spanish, expertise in second language acquisition or teaching, and expertise in Latin American and Latinx cultures by the time of appointment. In addition, applicants must have a minimum of three years experience teaching Spanish at the university level. The position entails the coordination of SPAN 1022 (an intensive, alternate second semester course), the continuous development and oversight of a technology-enhanced curriculum, and the supervision and mentoring of approximately fifteen Graduate Instructors, Teaching Specialists and Lecturers. The teaching load is four classes per year.
Additional requirements include:
- documented teaching excellence,
- experience with research-driven curriculum development and technology-enhanced language instruction,
- experience building and designing courses in LMSs (e.g., Moodle, Canvas, Blackboard),
- superior-level proficiency in both Spanish and English,
- ability to work effectively as a member of a team of coordinators, and
- excellent administrative and interpersonal skills.
- familiarity with literacy-based approaches to language teaching,
- familiarity with cultural analysis,
- experience with online foreign language instruction,
- coordination experience or experience mentoring new teachers, and
- ACTFL OPI training or certification.
About the Department
Founded in the 1960s, the Department of Spanish & Portuguese Studies at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, is widely recognized as a pioneer in the interdisciplinary study of language, literature and more broadly, cultural expressions grounded in theorized and broadly socio-historical perspectives.
We offer BA degrees in Spanish and Spanish and Portuguese Studies and MA and PhD degrees with emphases in Hispanic literatures and cultures, Hispanic linguistics, and Lusophone literatures and cultures. More information can be found at https://cla.umn.edu/spanish-portuguese.
How to Apply
- To receive consideration, apply online at http://employment.umn.edu. Search the Job ID: 337814. Complete the online application and upload a cover letter and current curriculum vitae.
Additionally, submit a Statement of Teaching Philosophy by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and upload the document in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
Finally, submit three letters of reference to Angie Rehn - email@example.com.
Review of applications will begin on December 1, 2020; applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Questions should be directed to Mandy Menke (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chair of the Search Committee.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu. To request an accommodation during the application process, please email email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
More search results
Assistant Professor, French and Francophone Studi…
The College of Wooster
Associate or Advanced Assistant Professor of Rhet…
University of Arkansas Department of English
Assistant Professor of the Practice in Hispanic S…
Boston College Department of Romance Languages and Literatures
Department Head, Spanish and Portuguese
University of Arizona, Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Assistant Professor of English, African American …
Ohio Wesleyan University, Department of English