Faculty Position in American Literature and American Studies
- Location details
- Tokyo, Japan
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant, Professor, Associate, Professor, Full
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Literature, American
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- Other international
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
International Christian University
Department of Humanities, College of Liberal Arts
Announcement of Faculty Position in American Literature and American Studies
International Christian University (ICU) is a private and bilingual university that provides a first-class liberal arts education to a culturally and religiously diverse international student community. ICU’s educational mission is based on Christian and democratic principles. ICU has approximately 3,000 students and over 150 faculty members from Japan and overseas. The university is located on a wooded campus in the suburbs of Tokyo.
We are pleased to announce an open search for a full-time faculty position in literature, with a specialization in American literature and American Studies. The successful applicant is expected to teach general education, foundation, and area major courses in the College of Liberal Arts, as well as courses in the Graduate School.
Department of Humanities
Rank & Title
Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Professor
Term of Employment
1. Assistant Professor:
Tenure-track position for an initial five-year term. (The term may be shortened to three years, depending on previous experience.) If tenure is approved at the end of the term, the position will be made permanent, and promotion to the rank of Associate Professor will be granted.
2. Associate Professor & Professor:
Employment until the mandatory retirement age of 65.
1. Salary: in accordance with ICU employment regulations
2. Allowances: available, in accordance with ICU employment regulations (e.g. commuting allowance)
3. Working hours: in accordance with ICU employment regulation
4. Social insurance: coverage by Promotion and Mutual Aid Corporation for Private Schools of Japan (PMAC), workers’ compensation, etc.
Number of Positions
1. Ph.D. or equivalent in American Literature, American Studies, or a closely related discipline.
2. Language of instruction: English. (Courses may also be taught in Japanese if the candidate is fluent in Japanese. Non-Japanese-speaking applicants should demonstrate a willingness to learn Japanese if tenured.)
3. Christian (of any denomination). In exceptional circumstances, a non-Christian who affirms ICU's Christian ideals and commits to realizing them.
Deadline for Applications
Applications and supporting materials must be submitted no later than 5:00 p.m. on January 15, 2021 (JST).
(The deadline may be extended until an appropriate candidate is found.)
September 1, 2021
Application and Selection Process
1. Register your application online.
2. Submit all the application materials online as described below.
3. After documentary screening, short-listed candidates will be requested to give a lecture and will be interviewed.
Notification of Decision
Applicants will be notified of the outcome by email.
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. List of Academic Publications (Do not send actual publications unless requested.)
3. Name and contact information of three academic references and one church minister/leader who can testify to the applicant's commitment to Christianity. We will approach your referees as necessary. (In the case of non-Christian applicants, please include within your cover letter a statement offering your affirmation of ICU's Christian ideals and your commitment to realizing them. In this case, a pastoral reference is not necessary.)
4. Cover letter describing why the applicant is applying for the position.
URL for Uploading
*ICU has a contract with Dropbox Education with high security.
You do not need a Dropbox account to upload files. Ignore an email message automatically transmitted by Dropbox, notifying the completion of file uploading.
- Format : PDF
- Size : Less than 3 MB (per file)
- Combine the documents into one file if possible.
- File name : Family name_All (e.g. Smith_All)
*If it is not possible to combine the documents into one file, name the files as follows.
If online submission is not possible, please write to the contact person below.
Personal information will be treated with confidentiality.
3-10-2 Osawa, Mitaka-shi, Tokyo 181-8585, JAPAN
Prof. Christopher E. J. Simons
Position of Contact Person
Senior Associate Professor, Department of Humanities