- Minnesota State University Moorhead
- Location details
- Moorhead, MN
- Position type
- Lecturer/instructor, Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Language teaching
- Employment category
Instructor or Assistant Professor of Spanish
Minnesota State University, Moorhead
Position Type Faculty
Division MSU Moorhead
Department Academic Departments
Unit College of Arts & Humanities
Location Moorhead, MN
Full/Part Time Full Time
Employment Condition Fixed Term
Work Schedule/Hours/Days This is a full time, 9 month fixed term position.
Salary Type Annual
Bargaining Unit/Plan 209, IFO
• Teach 12 credits of courses each semester
• Fulfill other professional duties within the department and university
• Participate in programmatic and general education assessment
• Master's degree in Spanish or directly related field
• Native or near native proficiency in Spanish
• Preparation or experience teaching in teaching: Literature, Culture & Civilization, Grammar & Composition
• Good communication skills and ability to work effectively within the academic unit
• Strong commitment to teaching all levels of the undergraduate Spanish curriculum
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully with persons of diverse backgrounds including sensitivity to their needs and concerns
• Demonstrated record of excellence in undergraduate teaching
• PhD in Spanish by date of appointment
To be considered by the search committee, applications must include: curriculum vitae or resume, cover letter addressing all required qualifications, unofficial transcripts from all degree granting institutions, and copies of course/teaching evaluations if available.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the search committee.
NOTICE: In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to Minnesota State's vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
The successful candidate must provide official transcripts of all academic work completed and, under U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations, be able to accept work in the U.S. by the day employment begins.
Minnesota State University Moorhead is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Unfortunately, Minnesota State does not participate in the E-Verify program.
In the simplest and most idealistic terms, our purpose at Minnesota State University Moorhead is to transform the world by transforming lives. In more specific terms, we are a university united around certain beliefs.
Our Core Values (How do we behave?)
We are "scrappy" and resourceful.
We have big goals and the tenacity to achieve them.
We have the courage to do what's right.
We're all on the same team and everyone's role is important.
We seek the best ideas and know they can come from anywhere and anyone in our campus community.
We don't take ourselves too seriously.
We go the extra mile for our students and each other.
We are passionate about our purpose.
We are fiercely loyal to MSUM.
Aspirational Value (We commit to making this as pervasive as our core values)
Diversity and inclusion of people and ideas
"Permission to Play" Values (These are the expectations of membership in our academic community)
Integrity and mutual respect in our behavior and interactions
Strategic Anchors (How will we succeed?)
We will succeed by:
• Focusing relentlessly on student achievement and students' return on their investment;
• Embedding and supporting diversity in every facet of the university; and
• Ensuring that MSUM is indispensable to the social, cultural, and economic advancement of Moorhead and the surrounding region.
Our professional programs are grounded in the liberal arts, designed to provide a broad base of knowledge and cultural themes.
• 74 undergraduate majors (70 emphases/options)
• 11 pre-professional programs
• 12 graduate degrees (21 emphasis areas)
• 28 graduate and undergraduate certificates
• 31 areas of teacher licensure preparation
MSUM enrolls 5,664 students from 36 states and 61 countries. MSUM is a member of the Tri-College University, an educational consortium that includes Concordia College of Moorhead, North Dakota State University, Minnesota State Community and Technical College, and the North Dakota State College of Science.
•Moorhead, Minn. and Fargo, N.D. are central to a thriving regional center with a population of 187,491 and growing for the Metropolitan Statistical Area (2014 Estimates from the U.S. Census Bureau).
•Higher education is a major community enterprise, with more than 31,000 students contributing to an atmosphere rich in arts, culture, sports and social activities.
•The communities enjoy a major concert venue; university, independent and community theatres; symphony orchestra; jazz concerts; annual film festivals; civic opera; art galleries and museums; and numerous family attractions and events.
•Unemployment rate for Minnesota and North Dakota is at 3.8% and 2.4% respectively, both of which are below the national average of 6.3% (2014).
•Fargo-Moorhead average travel time to work is 14.7 minutes.
•Moorhead public schools serve 5,620 students in an area recognized for superior student academic achievement and far-reaching extracurricular activities. Moorhead schools are all new or totally remodeled. For the past 15 years, Fargo public schools have earned the What Parents Want Award from SchoolMatch.
•Both Minnesota and North Dakota put lots of value on education, as outlined in Lumina Foundation's 2014 report.
•Minnesota ranked second place and North Dakota in fourth place in a list of states ranked on the proportion of young adults with at least a two-year college degree.
•Hector International Airport, the paramount airport for the FM area, is served by Allegiant Air, American Airlines, Delta and United and provides non-stop jet service to/from Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Orlando-Sanford, Phoenix-Mesa and Tampa/St. Petersburg.
•The Fargo-Moorhead community is ranked among the best places in the country to live, work, attend school and conduct business.
Recent community accolades:
• Moorhead named Best Small City in America (NerdWallet, June 2015)
• Fargo ranked #1 College Town to Find a Job (ZipRecruiter, March 2015)
• Fargo's Downtown named seventh best in the nation (Liviability, March 2015)
• Fargo ranks First Among Best-Performing Small Cities (The Milken Institute, January 2015)
• North Dakota topped the list in physical health with Minnesota landing in the top 10 (Well-Being Index, 2014)
• Moorhead has a lower sales tax than 96% of other cities in the state. Groceries and clothing are exempt from Moorhead and Minnesota sales tax (Minnesota Chamber of Commerce, November 2014)
• The Fargo-Moorhead metro region is the fourth fastest growing in the U.S. (Bloomberg, October 2014)
• Fargo-Moorhead ranked in the top five for highest average credit score, lowest foreclosure rate and lowest credit usage (WalletHub, October 2014)
• Minnesota ranked third in the nation as the best state for teachers (WalletHub, October 2014)
• North Dakota names best state for women-owned business (OPEN State of Women-Owned Business Report, August 2014)
• Fargo-Moorhead among top 100 smartest cities in the U.S. (VentureBeat, July 2013)
• F-M metro area ranked number two among mid-sized cities (Area Development, June 2013)
• City ranked first in prime workforce growth and fourth in economic strength indicators (Area Development, June 2013)
• Fargo-Moorhead in top 25 best cities to retire (Forbes, March 2013)
• Fargo-Moorhead placed at the number 5 spot on the List of Best Performing Cities (Milkin Institute, January 2013)
• ND ranked number 2 and MN ranked number 5 for the best states in encouraging entrepreneurial development (Bureau of Business Research, October 2012)
NINE-MONTH FACULTY APPOINTMENTS
Along with all other Universities that are part of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System, standard faculty appointments are for 168 duty days distributed over any nine consecutive months. The nine months need not align with the traditional academic year and may be changed every two years. Initial faculty appointments at MSU Moorhead are expected to be similar to or the same as the academic year unless otherwise indicated on the vacancy notice.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND NONDISCRIMINATION
Minnesota State University Moorhead is committed to a policy of equal opportunity nondiscrimination in employment and education. No person shall be discriminated against in the terms and conditions of employment, personnel practices, or access to and participation in, programs, services, and activities with regard to race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, and marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. In addition, discrimination in employment based on familial status or membership or activity in a local commission as defined by the law is prohibited. Inquiries regarding compliance should be referred to the Affirmative Action Office, OW 208, 218.477.2721 (Voice).
REQUEST FOR REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION
It is the policy of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities to provide reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities when such accommodations are directly related to competing for a job on an equal basis.
Applicants having special needs which require accommodation should contact the Human Resources Director, Owens 214, Minnesota State University Moorhead, Moorhead, Minnesota 56563, 218.477.2157 (Voice). For TTY communications, contact the Minnesota Relay Service at 1.800.627.3529.
AVAILABILITY OF MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY MOORHEAD ANNUAL CRIME REPORT
Minnesota State University Moorhead Annual Security Report is directly available at: http://www.mnstate.edu/publicsafety/crimereports.aspx or through our website at: http://www.mnstate.edu/publicsafety. All prospective students, employees, and visitors are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the information and policies contained in the report. The report contains statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Minnesota State University Moorhead; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a free copy of this report by contacting the Department of Public Safety at 218.477.2449.
Posting Number MSUM083P
Number of Vacancies 1
Desired Start Date 08/17/2021
Open Date 07/12/2021
Close Date 07/31/2021
Open Until Filled No
Accept Applications Yes
Posting Contact Dr. John Hall, Search Committee Chair; firstname.lastname@example.org; 218.477.2916
2. Cover Letter
For more information or to apply, visit: https://mnstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/1709
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Assistant Professor of Spanish
Claremont McKenna College
Laurance S. Rockefeller Visiting Faculty Fellowsh…
University Center for Human Values, Princeton University
Assistant/Associate Professor of Black Studies
Swarthmore College Black Studies
IDEAL Provostial Fellows for Studies in Race and …
Office of Faculty Development, Diversity and Engagement
Tenure-track Assistant Professor or Associate Pro…
Rice University, Department of Modern and Classical Literatures and Cultures