Faculty Search: Associate or Full Professor in Expanding Approaches to American Arts
- Location details
- Austin, Texas
- Position type
- Professor, Associate, Professor, Full
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The College of Fine Arts at the University of Texas at Austin (UT) seeks multiple, tenured, senior colleagues (associate or full professor rank) with a focus in interdisciplinary and cross-disciplinary approaches to scholarship and research-based practice in visual, media-based, and performing arts of the United States. Rank and salary commensurate with experience. We are specifically invested in deepening our engagement with underrepresented archives and repertoires within the United States, inclusive of perspectives from Indigenous, Afrodiasporic, Mexican American and LatinX, Asian American and Pacific Islander. The committee welcomes transnational, hemispheric, circum-Atlantic, and global frameworks and methodologies.
This interdisciplinary cohort hire is intended to impact the curricula, research profiles, and culture of more than one department/school in the College of Fine Arts. They will introduce innovations to the study of artistic expression that intersect with complementary disciplines; for example, religious studies, ethnography/anthropology, practice as research, new media/genre studies, technological arts and ethics, science and art, cultural/race/ethnic studies, disability studies, and transnational studies. We invite applications from academics and practitioners whose teaching, scholarship, creative activity, and/or service explore forms of artistic and creative practice not necessarily aligned with traditional institutions or methodologies. We encourage applications from members of groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE OF FINE ARTS
The College of Fine Arts consists of the following departments/schools:
The Department of Art and Art History
The Butler School of Music
Music and Human Learning
The Department of Theatre and Dance
Drama and Theatre for Youth and Communities
Live Design and Production
Performance as Public Practice
Playwriting and Directing
The School of Design and Creative Technologies
Arts and Entertainment Technologies
- Terminal degree in field
- Established national/international record of research and professional practice with focus on cross-disciplinary approaches in the arts
- A record of working productively with people of diverse races, ethnicities, nationalities, gender identities, sexual orientations, ages, and abilities
- Hold the rank of Associate Professor or Professor
- Capacity to respond in pedagogically productive ways to the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds
- Sustained personal engagement with underrepresented communities and an ability to bring this asset to learning, teaching, and scholarship at the college and university level
- Likelihood of using the diversity of human experience as an educational resource in teaching and scholarship
- A demonstrated capacity to work across artistic disciplines
To apply for the position, please submit the following by November 1, 2021 to Interfolio at
- A letter of application explaining your qualifications for, and interest in, the position, including discussion of your most significant research/creative/professional, teaching, and service activities in cross-disciplinary arts research or practice; your experience advancing equity, diversity, inclusion, and/or social justice in the arts; and a vision for what innovative teaching or other professional activities you hope to offer the College of Fine Arts
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or professional résumé (please include live links to publications, if applicable);
- A link to or pdf of a portfolio of recent work (if applicable)
- Contact information for three references (letters will be requested only for finalists).
Questions about the application process may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org; questions about the positions themselves may be directed to search committee chair Prof. John Yancey at email@example.com.
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.
More search results
Provost’s Tenure Track Fellow to Faculty
The Ohio State University Department of English
Stanford IDEAL Provostial Fellows for Studies in …
Office of Faculty Development, Diversity and Engagement
Assistant Professor of Japanese Language and Asia…
Assistant Professor of African American Studies
St. Olaf College, English Dept.
Assistant Professor of Letters, College of Letters
Wesleyan University, College of Letters