Assistant Professor, African American Literature
- Salve Regina University
- Location details
- Newport, Rhode Island
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Literature, African American
- Employment category
- Rhode Island
About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative colleges in the United States by Money Magazine, is a comprehensive Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers bachelor's and master's degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from across the U.S. and around the world.
- The Department of English, Communications and Media at Salve Regina University invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor specializing in African American literature and culture. Additional interests or coursework in topics such as Black feminism; Afrofuturism; young adult literature; creative writing; Native American literature; and the literatures of the African diaspora are also welcome. A Ph.D. in English and strong undergraduate teaching experience is required.
- The department offers majors in literature, creative writing and publishing, and communications and media studies as well as minors in these fields and in film studies. With an emphasis on interdisciplinarity, department members also teach in the University's honors program and its First-Year Seminar program as well as in courses offered in American Studies and Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies.
- The successful candidate will teach the department's current offerings in African American literature and the literature of the Harlem Renaissance and expand those offerings based on their scholarly interests. The teaching load is 3/3 with additional commitments to scholarship and service.
- The start date for the position is September 1, 2022.
- A Ph.D. in English
- Strong undergraduate teaching experience
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible employees including:
- health and dental coverage
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- 403B plan
- tuition benefits and more
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in employment and education to all employees, students and applicants. No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online by providing a cover letter and CV. Salve Regina University, as a comprehensive Mercy, Catholic University, welcomes people of all beliefs and encourages students to work for a world that is harmonious, just, and merciful. In your cover letter, please highlight how your teaching, scholarship, leadership, and service might serve to support the University's mission and its commitment to diversity, dialogue, and lifelong learning. Pre-employment background checks and reference checks are required of successful candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.
The review of completed applications will begin on October 4, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
More search results
Assistant Professor - English (Drama and Performa…
Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Englis…
The University of Hong Kong
Assistant Professor in Comparative Modernisms, Te…
University of California San Diego
Princeton University - Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Lecturer in Writing