Assistant Professor of Spanish (Tenure Track)
- Arizona State University
- Location details
- Tempe, AZ
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- English, Spanish
- Cultural studies, Literature, non-English
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The School of International Letters and Cultures (SILC) invites applications for a full-time tenure-track appointment in Mexican Studies beginning in August 2022 at the rank of Assistant Professor. We encourage applications from candidates with research and teaching interests in 20th and/or 21st centuries Mexican cultural production (specializations in poetry and/or theater are especially welcome).
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, creative teacher-scholar committed to high quality undergraduate and graduate education and student-faculty research. The successful candidate should have a strong interest in helping to forge research and curricular links between SILC and other units at ASU. The SILC Spanish program offers a multi-modal major and minor in the Bachelor of Arts program, both in immersion and online modalities. Graduate studies programs include an M.A. and a Ph.D. in Spanish literature and culture. Members of the faculty also participate in the SILC transdisciplinary PhD program in Comparative Culture and Language. Arizona State University has been named the most innovative university seven years running, and is the nation’s leading major public university committed to inclusion and excellence in research and education.
Essential Functions of the Position
• Maintain an active research agenda.
• Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Spanish and English.
• Mentor graduate students and undergraduate students, including honors students.
• Contribute to curriculum and program development.
• Participate in service to the university and profession as appropriate to rank.
• Ph.D. in Spanish Literature/Culture (or related field) at time of hire.
• Native or near-native proficiency in Spanish and English.
• Evidence of excellence in college-level teaching.
• Deep knowledge of Mexican literature/culture and intellectual tradition.
• Focus on 20th and/or 21st centuries Mexican cultural productions (poetry and/or theater especially welcome).
• Ability to teach theory of literature and culture.
• Expertise in environmental humanities, medical humanities, and other innovative research areas are especially welcome.
• Experience teaching college-level courses in language, literature, and cultural studies.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching college-level online courses.
• Demonstrated success meeting the needs of diverse student populations and/or collaborating with diverse communities beyond the University.
To apply, submit the following electronically to: http://apply.interfolio.com/95361
1. A cover letter addressed to Dr. Emil Volek, Search Committee Chair that includes a description of how the applicant’s experiences fit the qualifications listed above.
2. Current CV.
3. Copy of Transcript.
4. Teaching philosophy statement that addresses your prior teaching experience (1 page single-spaced).
5. A statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence (1 page single- spaced).
6. Writing sample or publication (roughly 30 pages max).
7. The names, positions, phone numbers, and email addresses of three references, who may be contacted directly.
Finalists will be asked to submit a complete teaching portfolio that includes two relevant syllabi and two recent sets of student course evaluations (submitted as single document).
Application deadline is 11/15/2021; if not filled, every two weeks thereafter until the search is closed. By policy, the successful candidate must be eligible to work in the United States by time of hire.
The College values our cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community.
Learn more about what The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has to offer by visiting https://thecollege.asu.edu/faculty.
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. ASU's full non-discrimination statement (ACD401) is located on the ASU website:
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
More search results
Assistant Professor of Spanish/SLA (2622)
Idaho State University
Assistant Professor of Contemporary Latin America…
Florida Atlantic University
Assistant Professor of Spanish and Latin American…
The University of North Florida, Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
Assistant Professor of Spanish
Texas Tech University
VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR IN SPANISH AND HISPA…