Specialist for Language Education Academic Affairs
Occidental College is a small liberal arts college situated within the multicultural global metropolis of Los Angeles. It educates a diverse and intellectually ambitious student body as "citizens of the world" through interdisciplinary curricula, thematic emphases on urbanism, the environment, social justice and global affairs, and a robust co-curricular program of international research and study abroad offerings. It recognizes profound historical changes in the ways people interact and communicate around the globe through emergent digital technologies and media. Language study enhances students’ capacity to think, communicate, and pursue culturally-specific, nuanced undergraduate research. It is a critical component of a liberal arts education, and serves as a base upon which students may build a globally-minded education. Occidental’s language programs aim to provide second or third language proficiency in speaking and writing that will impact student success in research and coursework. The College seeks a Specialist for Language
Education to promote language education, enhance language pedagogy, and facilitate connections with the College’s language departments, which offer instruction in Ancient Greek, Chinese, French, German, Latin, Russian, and Spanish. , In addition, the Specialist for Language Education would work closely with other academic departments,
the Advising Center, and the International Programs Office, and the McKinnon Center for Global Affairs.
This position is represented for purposes of collective bargaining by SEIU.
● Master’s degree - or advanced coursework in Applied Linguistics or comparable foreign languages and area
● Demonstrated experience in an academic setting providing teaching, technology and/or student/faculty support in a languages coordinator or similar position
● Undergraduate teaching experience in a foreign language.
● Proficiency in one or more of the languages regularly taught at Occidental.
Ideal candidates will demonstrate personal attributes of:
● proactive leadership
● demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member and independently
● excellent communications, supervisory and project management skills
● intellectual curiosity
● willingness to learn new tools and processes
● enthusiasm for teaching and responsive instructional support
● comfort with rapidly evolving digital media and instructional technologies
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance
More search results
Full-time Faculty Position in American literature
The American University in Cairo
North African Francophone Studies, Tenure-track A…
Connecticut College French Department
Director of Academic Program Services and Profess…
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF HISPANIC LINGUISTICS
Princeton University German Department