Assistant Professor - Queer and/or Trans Ethnic Studies
- San Francisco State University
- Location details
- San Francisco, CA
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Race and Resistance Studies in the College of Ethnic Studies
Queer and/or Trans Ethnic Studies
Rank of Appointment: Assistant Professor
Tenure Track Position in the Department of Race and Resistance Studies
College of Ethnic Studies
San Francisco State University
San Francisco State University’s Department of Race and Resistance Studies offers an exciting opportunity for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position focused on Queer and/or Trans Ethnic Studies beginning August 2022.
We seek a colleague whose teaching and research focus on queer and/or trans communities of color, whose work is based in the arts and humanities (including history), and who specializes in queer and/or trans of color theory, practice, and resistance. We encourage candidates who focus on Black communities but are open to other areas and broader comparative analyses. We seek a scholar who can teach the foundational course of our Queer Ethnic Studies Minor, “Coloring Queer: Imagining Communities,” and build curriculum for this minor as well as the minor and major in Race and Resistance Studies. We are especially interested in qualified candidates with a demonstrated commitment -- through their research, teaching, and service -- to the diversity and excellence of our academic community.
About the Department:
Race and Resistance Studies is the newest department in the College of Ethnic Studies at San Francisco State University. Our curriculum developed around the foci of social movements, intersectionality of race/class/sex/gender, cultural production, and borders and transnationalism. The Department offers a major in Race and Resistance Studies and minors in Arab and Muslim Ethnicities and Diasporas, Critical Pacific Islands and Oceania Studies, and Queer Ethnic Studies.
About the University:
The mission of San Francisco State University is to create and maintain an environment for learning that promotes respect for and appreciation of scholarship, freedom, human diversity, and the cultural mosaic of the City of San Francisco and the Bay Area; to promote excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment; and to provide broadly accessible higher education for residents of the region and state, as well as the nation and world. To fulfill its mission, the University is committed to the following goals:
- Attracting, retaining and graduating a highly diverse student body.
- Providing disciplinary and interdisciplinary liberal arts and professional education that is academically rigorous and intellectually challenging.
- Providing curricula that reflect all dimensions of human diversity, and that encourage critical thinking and a commitment to social justice.
- Recruiting, retaining and supporting a diverse faculty whose teaching demonstrates an active engagement with their individual fields of study and whose creative and scholarly work is an extension of the classroom, laboratory or studio.
- Employing a staff and administration reflecting the diversity of our student community and the values of the campus.
- Fostering a collegial and cooperative intellectual environment that includes recognition and appreciation of differing viewpoints and promotes academic freedom within the University community.
- Serving the communities with which its students and faculty are engaged.
The position requires teaching undergraduate courses for Race and Resistance Studies, mentoring and advising undergraduate and graduate students, helping to build the Queer Ethnic Studies Minor as well as the minor and major for RRS, developing an active ongoing scholarship program in one’s area of specialty, and ongoing committee and service assignments.
- Ph.D. in Ethnic Studies, Women and Gender Studies, American Studies, or related humanities field.
- Record of working and communicating effectively with colleagues and students
- One to two years of undergraduate teaching experience with a large, diverse student body or in a multicultural setting.
- Awareness and engagement with critical concerns in the discipline and publication record that demonstrates a sustained research focus on queer and/or trans ethnic studies.
- A demonstrated record of community involvement related to queer and/or trans communities of color.
Rank and salary:
Assistant Professor. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The California State University (CSU) provides generous health, retirement and other benefits.
Submit the following materials via email to: https://careers.pageuppeople.com/873/sf/en-us/listing/ by October 15, 2022:
(1) letter of intent/interest, (2) current CV, (3) sample of scholarly work, (4) statement of teaching philosophy, (5) description of research interests; (6) three letters of recommendation, and (7) a statement on how your teaching and scholarship align with the commitment of the Race and Resistance Studies Department to foster an inclusive and diverse academic community. Teaching evaluations will be requested at a later date. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Gautam Baksi, Department Coordinator at email@example.com.
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.
More search results
Full-time Faculty Position in American literature
The American University in Cairo
North African Francophone Studies, Tenure-track A…
Connecticut College French Department
Director of Academic Program Services and Profess…
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF HISPANIC LINGUISTICS
Princeton University German Department