Assistant Teaching Professor of French and Italian
- Location details
- Seattle, WA
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Italian, French
- Humanities, Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of French and Italian Studies at the University of Washington invites applications for an Assistant Teaching Professor of French and Italian beginning in the 2022-2023 academic year. This position holds an annual service appointment of nine months with an anticipated start date of September 2022 (beginning September 16 and ending June 15). This is a full time, non-tenure track, three-year position with the possibility of renewal contingent upon instructional needs, performance and funding.
Primary responsibilities include teaching first and second-year French language courses, language-focused third-year courses, in particular French 301, and first-year Italian language courses. Course load will be 2 courses per quarter for a total of 6 courses per year.
Additionally, the successful candidate will:
- help expand the Department's commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) through community outreach, recruitment, retention and program building initiatives;
- contribute to course and curriculum development in the French and Italian language programs;
- spearhead the development of online courses and curricula;
- spearhead the integration of innovative teaching and learning technologies into the French and Italian language programs;
- participate in the training and supervision of graduate student and part-time instructors, including training language instructors in methodologies of second-language acquisition and pedagogy, and eventually assuming a leadership role as Director of Language Programs.
- Ph.D. or equivalent foreign degree in French and/or Italian or a closely related field by the start of employment;
- Native or near-native fluency in French and English;
- Advanced proficiency in Italian;
- At least 2 years of experience teaching French and Italian at the university or college level;
- Expertise in second-language acquisition and pedagogy;
- Expertise with innovative teaching/learning technologies and online teaching.
Please submit the following via Interfolio:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter (1-2 pages)
- Three recent confidential letters of recommendation. At least one letter must address experience and effectiveness teaching Italian
- A 1-page statement of teaching philosophy
- Recent teaching evaluations
- A statement, not to exceed one page, on how you would contribute to the diversity, equity and inclusivity goals of the Department, the Humanities Division, and the University (as articulated in the UW Diversity Blueprint: http://www.washington.edu/diversity/diversity-blueprint/ )
- Any additional materials you feel are relevant, such as one syllabus or one sample lesson you've created
Priority will be given to applications received by November 5, 2021
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
University of Washington is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Commitment to Diversity
The University of Washington is committed to building diversity among its faculty, librarian, staff, and student communities, and articulates that commitment in the UW Diversity Blueprint (http://www.washington.edu/diversity/diversity-blueprint/). Additionally, the University’s Faculty Code recognizes faculty efforts in research, teaching and/or service that address diversity and equal opportunity as important contributions to a faculty member’s academic profile and responsibilities (https://www.washington.edu/admin/rules/policies/FCG/FCCH24.html#2432).
More search results
Department of English and Foreign Languages at LSUS
Lecturer of Spanish
Lecturer of French
Full-time Lecturer in European Languages and Tran…
UCLA Department of European Languages and Transcultural Studies
Lecturers in Chinese Language- 2 Positions