Assistant/Associate Professor in Applied Linguistics and Academic Director of the ESL Academy
- Location details
- University of Colorado’s Downtown Denver Campus
- Requisition 23210
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant, Professor, Associate
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- English, English as a Second Language
- Linguistics, Speech and communications
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
The English department at the University of Colorado Denver invites applications for a full-time Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor in Applied Linguistics or Writing Studies who will also serve as the Academic Director of the English as a Second Language Academy (50%), pending budgetary approval. Primary specialization in Linguistics or Writing Studies with an emphasis on English as a Second/Other Language. Secondary specialization open. The teaching load for the Academic Director is 1/1 with research and service expectations.
The ESL Academy provides innovative instruction and cultural enrichment in an English-immersion environment to both university-bound students and discipline-specific graduate student cohorts from around the world. It fosters respect for cultural diversity and inclusion in all forms. The curriculum integrates English fluency, accuracy in written and oral expression, and content studies with interpersonal skills and American life skills. The ESL Academy offers five terms year-round. The Academic Director is responsible for all academic operations, managing budgets, supervising faculty and staff, and coordinating with other offices on campus.
The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at: https://www.ucdenver.edu/coronavirus. On the Denver Campus, exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.
The University of Colorado Denver seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
- Ph.D. in Linguistics, English, Writing Studies, or English Education. Applicants must have earned a doctorate degree prior to the time of hire.
- Experience supervising and mentoring faculty
- Ph.D. in Linguistics, English, Writing Studies, or English Education
- Experience supervising and mentoring faculty
- Evidence of teaching excellence
- Evidence of a strong scholarly record
- Experience supervising and mentoring administrative staff
- Experience managing budgets
- Experience in an Intensive English Program
- Experience recruiting international students
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Ability to develop and pursue a meaningful scholarly agenda
- Ability to teach at multiple levels of the curriculum
- Ability to engage English Language Learners in the classroom and in 1-on-1 settings
- Ability to reflect creatively on pedagogy
- Expertise in Reading, Writing, and Communicating across the Curriculum
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range) has been established for the following positions at 1.0 FTE.
Assistant Professor: $66,000- $72,000. Associate Professor: $74,000-$80,000
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training. The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
Diversity and Equity:
CU Denver is on the traditional territories and ancestral homelands of the Cheyenne, Arapaho, and Ute nations. Let us acknowledge the painful history of genocide and forced removal from this territory and pay our respects to the diverse Indigenous peoples still connected to this land. Let us also give thanks to all Tribal Nations and the ancestors of this place.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on disability accommodations.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment. The University of Colorado Denver is an emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI).
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, requisition # 23210. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by November 7, 2021.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers, requisition # 23210. Please attach:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current CV/resume
- A writing sample
- Arrange for at least three referees to upload letters of recommendation to the CU Careers website. You will be sent an email asking you to provide email addresses for your references, and then links will be emailed to them asking them to upload their letters. NOTE: You will not receive this email immediately – it may take a few business days before receiving this email.
Questions should be directed to Dr. Joanne Addison at Joanne.Addison@ucdenver.edu.