Assistant Professor of Spanish Peninsular Contemporary Literary and Cultural Studies
- California State University, Fullerton
- Location details
- Fullerton, CA
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Assistant Professor of Spanish Peninsular Contemporary Literary and Cultural Studies
Job no: 505522
Work type: Instructional Faculty – Tenured/Tenure-Track
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Faculty - Letters/Humanities, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time
Department of Modern Languages & Literatures
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The Department of Modern Languages & Literatures (MLL) at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Spanish Peninsular Contemporary Literary and Cultural Studies. The appointment begins in August 2022.
California State University, Fullerton values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research, and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community. Individuals advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals and those from groups whose underrepresentation in the American professoriate has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
CSUF faculty are committed teacher/scholars who bring research and creative discovery to life for students in classrooms, labs, studios, and individually mentored projects.
Duties include: teaching all levels of Spanish, but primarily upper-division and graduate-level courses in Spanish Peninsular literature and culture; and producing research commensurate with the requirements for tenure in their area of expertise. The successful candidate will also be expected to contribute to and participate in the life and development of the department, advise students, serve on committees, and participate in the broader university and disciplinary communities.
- Superior (ACTFL) proficiency in Spanish
- Ph.D. in Spanish by the start of the appointment. Advanced ABDs considered. If ABD, please have your dissertation committee chair provide a letter indicating your progress to date and detailing a timeline to completion
- Specialization in Contemporary Peninsular Literary and Cultural Studies
- Ability to balance excellent teaching, scholarship, and service
- Evidence of successful teaching experience at the college or university level
- Evidence of the ability to use instructional technology effectively
- Strong and clear research agenda
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact effectively and collegially with a wide and culturally diverse range of students and colleagues
- Three academic years (i.e., 6 semesters or 12 quarters) of experience teaching at the college or university level is highly desirable
- Additional background in areas such as theater, translation, interpretation, Hispanic media, or other interdisciplinary fields is highly desirable
A complete on‐line application must be received by electronic submission to be considered. To apply, please visit http://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php, choose full-time faculty, search for Job #505522 to begin the application process, and provide the following required materials:
- Letter of application in which you respond to the required qualifications
- Candidate statement on commitment to inclusive excellence. This statement provides the candidate’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. The purpose of this statement is to help the department identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas.
- Curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts (uploaded PDF copies; official transcripts will be required of all finalists)
- Research statement in which you describe your research program and discuss how students can be incorporated into your research
- A writing sample or samples (e.g., PDF copies of published or forthcoming articles or book chapters, or dissertation chapters; in Spanish and/or English)
- Teaching portfolio including a teaching statement, sample course syllabi, and teaching evaluation samples
- A list of three references with relevant contact information.
- All applicants will be required to have three letters of recommendation submitted. Please have these ready for the referents to submit. On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. At the appropriate time in the search process, they will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into your applicant portal.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Professor Reyes Fidalgo, MLL Department Search Committee Chair at email@example.com, or call the MLL department at 657‐278‐3534.
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by November 8, 2021. The Search Committee will then begin reviewing applications and continue its review until the position is filled.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences
The mission of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences is to educate students to be culturally, globally, socially, historically and environmentally astute, civically responsible alumni able to navigate and increasingly complex and interconnected world. The College of Humanities and Social Sciences is the largest college at Cal State Fullerton, offering 23 undergraduate degrees, 38 minors, and 15 graduate degrees. The 20 departments and programs employ over 450 faculty and 50 staff members serving more than 7,500 students and annually awarding over 2,000 degrees. The College of Humanities and Social Sciences offers students the breadth of a traditional liberal arts education in the humanities and social sciences while preparing them for a wide range of professions. Faculty members in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences are committed teacher/scholars who bring research and creative discovery to life for students in classrooms, labs, and individually mentored projects. The College of Humanities and Social Sciences is committed to the University’s strategic plan objective to “increase the number of tenured and tenure-track faculty, with a concentrated attention to those from historically underrepresented groups.” For more information about the college, please go to http://hss.fullerton.edu/
The Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
The Department of Modern Languages & Literatures (MLL) offers diverse programs aimed at meeting the needs of today's students. We view language, culture, linguistics, and literature as integrally-related facets of the complex phenomenon of human communication, a process that helps us to understand ourselves, each other, our values, and our roles in a multicultural world.
Students interested in developing language and cultural competence find a variety of programs in Modern Languages & Literatures. Programs are designed for those who wish to pursue more advanced studies of language and literatures, as well as for the growing number of people who find the ability to communicate in other languages and sensitivity to other cultures important components of career preparation in the United States and abroad. Our programs help to prepare students for careers in education, government, non-profit organizations, social services, translation services, assessment, literature, and international business.
The Department of Modern Languages and Literatures is engaged in several student retention projects and high-impact practices to support student graduation and success such as field research projects, collaborative faculty-student research; student participation in professional meetings; theater groups; mentoring of underrepresented graduate students, among others. We seek a colleague that can build off these efforts and contribute innovative practices and strategies for further promoting student success.
California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) is a minority-serving institution and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Multiple positions may be hired from this recruitment based on the strength of the applicant pool.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and is subject to budgetary authorization and any California State University System faculty contract increases. Summer research grants, moving expenses, start‐up funds, and a reduced teaching load may be available. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health/vision/dental plans; spouse, domestic partner and dependent fee‐waiver; access to campus child‐care; and a defined‐benefit retirement through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/total-wellness/.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be formally offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self‐disclose.
Notice of Non-Discrimination on the Basis of Gender or Sex and Contact Information for Title IX Coordinator (http://www.fullerton.edu/titleix/about/notice.php).
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidates advanced in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/9779821/latest/ and questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
More search results
Provost’s Tenure Track Fellow to Faculty
The Ohio State University Department of English
Stanford IDEAL Provostial Fellows for Studies in …
Office of Faculty Development, Diversity and Engagement
Assistant Professor of Japanese Language and Asia…
Assistant Professor of African American Studies
St. Olaf College, English Dept.
Assistant Professor of Letters, College of Letters
Wesleyan University, College of Letters