Assistant Professor of German
- Location details
- Ames, Iowa, USA
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The Department of World Languages and Cultures in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Iowa State University (Ames, Iowa, USA) is seeking qualified candidates for a tenure track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor of German. This generalist faculty position will teach language and culture courses at all levels of the undergraduate curriculum with an emphasis in 20th and 21st century German Studies and demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and student engagement.
The successful candidate will have an interest in teaching German Studies courses in English (e.g., German Fairy Tale, German Cinema) and developing and teaching online offerings and interdisciplinary courses in international studies, cross-cultural communication, or developing collaborations or coursework in Anthropology or another area currently in the department; the ability to participate actively in undergraduate curriculum in the Languages and Cultures for Professions Program; and an interest in developing study abroad programs in Germany.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- PhD in German or a related discipline by time of appointment
- Demonstrated commitment to an active research agenda regarding 20th and 21st century German Studies
- Near-native proficiency in German and English
- Record of excellence in teaching German at the university level.
- Ability to participate actively in undergraduate curriculum in Languages and Cultures for Professions program
- Demonstrated interest in developing and teaching courses in a secondary area that is currently housed in the department
- Interest in developing study abroad programs in Germany
- Commitment to undergraduate student recruitment and retention
- Evidence of ability to work effectively with diverse student, faculty, and staff populations
Applications will be accepted until December 3, 2021. To apply for this position, visit https://www.jobs.iastate.edu. (direct link: https://isu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/IowaStateJobs/job/Ames-IA/Assistant-Professor-of-German_R6591). Once accessing the position posting, please start an application for the position, and be prepared to upload the following materials:
- Letter of Application/Cover Letter
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for Three References to Provide Letters of Recommendation
- Discursive and Statistical Teaching Evaluations
Iowa State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515 294-7612, email firstname.lastname@example.org.