Assistant Professor (International Studies)
- Location details
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Other languages
- Cultural studies, Gender and women's studies, Interdisciplinary, Technology and digital media, Humanities, Film and media studies
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The Languages, Cultures, and International Studies program is accepting applications for a tenure-track position beginning August 2022, within the new International Studies area, at the rank of Assistant Professor.
The candidate selected for this position will contribute to creating a program that is dedicated to providing interdisciplinary, humanistic, creative, and experiential learning through which students develop international communication/language skills, cultural competency, critical thinking skills, international awareness, and global advocacy/leadership skills. The program seeks a faculty member that takes interdisciplinary and social justice-oriented approaches to international issues and topics.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected individual will develop and teach courses in International Studies; collaborate with students and faculty across disciplines; recruit and mentor students; maintain an active program in peer-reviewed research, and provide school/university service appropriate to academic rank.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. in International Studies, Global Studies, Area Studies, Cultural Studies, Ethnic Studies, Gender Studies, History, Media Studies, Performance Studies, Philosophy, or a related field by the time of appointment. (If all degree requirements are not completed by August 15, 2022 , a non-tenure track appointment may be offered).
- Expertise in public humanities, open pedagogies, and/or digital humanities.
- Experience in teaching and/or engaging global advocacy projects, using production-based/hands-on approaches, such as public humanities, digital humanities, documentary-making, art-installation, live classroom, creative nonfiction writing or literary journalism.
- Professional experience in working with international organizations, especially non-profit and global advocacy organizations.
- Experience teaching Introduction to International Studies and/or Global Advocacy.
- Potential to contribute to other undergraduate programs in the School of Languages and Linguistics.
- Proficiency in a language other than English.
- Experience in designing, leading and/or teaching study-abroad programs.
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, Cultural studies, Professor, Assistant, Film and media studies, Gender and women's studies, Humanities, Interdisciplinary, Other languages, Illinois, Technology and digital media