Dean, College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
- University of the Incarnate Word
- Location details
- San Antonio, TX
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
Dean, College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
The University of the Incarnate Word in San Antonio, TX seeks candidates for the Dean, College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences. The dean provides academic and administrative leadership for a multi-discipline College, which offers undergraduate degree programs in Art, Cultural Studies, Criminal Justice, English, History, Modern Languages, Music, Music Composition, Music Education, Music Industry, Music Therapy, Pastoral Ministry, Philosophy, Photography, Political Science, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, and Theatre Arts. Graduate programs are offered in Pastoral Ministries and Multi-disciplinary Studies. Interdisciplinary concentrations are offered in Asian Studies, Medical Humanities, Pre-Law, Social Justice and Peace, Sustainability, and Women and Gender Studies.
The dean collaborates with 52 full-time faculty and is supported by an assistant dean and four full-time staff members. The College is responsible for over two-thirds of the university Core Curriculum that lays a strong liberal arts foundation for all undergraduates.
In addition, the Dean respects the diversity of disciplines while advancing the liberal arts identity and unity of the College and the University. The dean must support the mission of the University as a Catholic institution that delivers a curriculum that includes “a global perspective and an emphasis on social justice and community service.”
As a member of the Provost's Council, the Dean will contribute to strategic operations and resource decisions that align with the Academic Master Plan and promote the welfare and success of the entire UIW system. This position reports directly to the Associate Provost for Undergraduate and Graduate Education.
University of the Incarnate Word is a Catholic institution that welcomes to its community persons of diverse backgrounds, in the belief that their respectful interaction advances the discovery of truth, mutual understanding, self-realization, and the common good.
- Promote excellence in faculty teaching, service, professional growth/development, and scholarship.
- Work with the leadership team of the university, participating in institutional strategic planning, academic master planning, goal setting, and resource allocation.
- Build consensus among faculty, students, staff, and administrators in a diverse campus community environment.
- Communicate frequently, respectfully, and professionally with the faculty and staff within the College.
- Comply with Faculty Handbook processes and policies.
- Advocate for the College to internal and external constituencies.
- Support the Mission through co-curricular activities.
- Work collaboratively with faculty and administrators on curriculum planning and development, effective teaching, and assessment of student learning.
- Oversee recruitment, retention, and development of high-quality faculty, students, and staff.
- Ensure quality programs through resource acquisition and management.
- Communicate updates to department chairs regarding issues related to their program areas and faculty members.
- Understand the importance of and maintain the university Core curriculum.
- Oversee effective advising of students.
- Ensure compliance with safety standards, human resource policies and other legal liability concerns.
- Develop and manage the budget, technical support, and other College services.
- Participate in long-range planning to meet current University objectives and develops strategies for future directions.
- Determine workload assignments that align with the Faculty Handbook for program chairs, coordinators, directors, faculty, and staff.
- Oversee the process of hiring, evaluating, and mentoring faculty and staff.
- Oversee the hiring and evaluation of student assistants, graduate assistants, and other part-time labor.
- Collaborate with all UIW schools to synergize resources and services that improve effectiveness and reduce institutional expenses.
- Collaborate effectively across the university and communicate resource needs to achieve College and institutional goals.
- Demonstrate success in working collaboratively with the Advancement division to obtain federal, state, and private grants and funds to support the mission of the College.
- Work with other deans to advance and provide leadership for the University.
The successful candidate will have an earned doctorate or other terminal degree in a discipline or field within the College; distinguished faculty careers that would qualify them to be tenured to the university as a faculty member within the College; five (5) plus years of demonstrated university administrative and collaborative leadership experience at the departmental level or higher, interpersonal communication skills, and a commitment to promoting and embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion; and demonstrated experience with and sensitivity toward a diverse student population and larger community.
KNOWLEDGESKILLS & ABILITIES
- Maintain/create a culture of collaboration and engagement.
- Build, lead, motivate, work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Manage budget, planning, and personnel processes as related to the complex structure of the college.
- Facilitate assessment, accreditation, and data-based decision-making processes.
- Working knowledge of the Catholic Intellectual Tradition (broadly defined) and Catholic Social Teaching, and a commitment to the basic principles of both.
- Aptitude for soliciting external funding for the College.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
QUICKLINK to Apply to Posting CA048PO: https://jobs.uiw.edu/postings/17162
UIW Offers Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance. 13 Paid Holidays, Vacation, & Sick Leave. Employer-Paid Life/AD&D Insurance & Long-Term Disability Insurance. Defined Contribution Retirement Plan (403B). UIW Tuition Waiver, Tuition Exchange Program. Employee Assistance Program, Free Membership to Wellness Center, and more!
UIW is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in employment, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status, pregnancy, and religion.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF PRACTICE IN TRANSLATION ST…
Open Rank Professor of German
Professor of Germanic Studies
University of Chicago Germanic Studies Department
Associate Dean for Academic Student Affairs, Coll…
Howard University - College of Arts and Sciences
Assistant Professor of Latin American Literature …
Mount St. Mary's University Department of World Languages and Cultures