Assistant Professor of English: English Education
- Bemidji State University
- Location details
- Bemidji State University, Bemidji, Minnesota
- Depends on Qualifications
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant, Professor, Associate, Professor, Full
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- English education
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Bemidji State University (BSU) invites qualified applicants to join our team as an Assistant Professor of English: English Education. BSU’s vision is to educate people to lead inspired lives. To accomplish BSU’s vision, the University prioritizes creating a culture in which diversity is embraced and all people are safe, welcome, and validated. BSU also prioritizes increasing engagement with Indigenous communities to become a destination university.
BSU is located amid the lakes and forests of northern Minnesota and occupies a wooded campus along the shore of Lake Bemidji. BSU balances rigorous academia with the opportunity to enjoy a fun, robust, outdoor culture. The proximity to the lake and the surrounding north woods allows easy access to an assortment of recreation. Major campus facilities are connected by all-season underground passages for safe and warm travel during the cold, winter months.
Enrolling around 5,000 students, BSU offers more than 70 undergraduate majors and nine graduate degrees encompassing arts, sciences and select professional programs. BSU is a member of the Minnesota State system of colleges and universities and has a faculty and staff of more than 550. BSU’s Shared Fundamental Values include civic engagement and leadership, international and multicultural understanding, belief in the power of the liberal arts, and environmental stewardship.
The English Department at BSU offers a diverse selection of academic programs, from our award-winning Bachelor of Fine Arts in Creative & Professional Writing to traditional and in-depth studies in literature including our graduate program that offers both M.A. and M.S. options. The Department has developed innovative curriculum options including a Digital Writing minor. Under the guidance of practicing high school teachers, our teacher licensure curriculum includes courses in teaching literature and professional writing. The Department is fully committed to equity and to diversity in our faculty and students.
Responsibilities of the Assistant Professor of English include:
- Teaching courses including, but not limited to, undergraduate courses in English education (11 credits per year), first and second year college writing, and other undergraduate and graduate courses in the applicant’s secondary fields of interest, amounting to 24 credit hours per year.
- Designing and delivering courses for on-campus and online delivery, as needed.
- Advising B.S. majors in curriculum and towards teacher licensure in coordination with the Education department.
- Advising and reviewing BSU College in the High School, concurrent enrollment teachers in accordance with university and state education requirements. Some travel to Minnesota high schools required (and reimbursed).
- Contributing to a program of scholarship within the discipline, service to the University and community, and other associated faculty duties.
- Contributing to interdisciplinary teaching and involvement in activities that support BSU’s Shared Fundamental Values.
- Contributing to a collegial and supportive environment that advances the goals of the department, including curriculum development, assessment, and other departmental governance activities.
Minimum qualifications for this position include:
- Earned Ph.D. or Ed.D. in English Education from an accredited institution at the start of employment.
- Record of a significant and active research agenda, including publications and conference presentations.
- 3 years of teaching experience in a high school setting as teacher of record with at least one year in teaching English.
- 3 years of experience teaching education, writing, and/or literature courses at the college level.
- Ability to teach ENGL 3520 Writing for the Secondary School Teacher, ENGL 3550 Methods of Teaching English & Communication, ENGL 1151 Composition, and ENGL 2152 Argument and Exposition.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality teaching is required. This includes experience and enthusiasm for teaching first-year writing courses.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Secondary interest and/or experience in literature and ability to teach ENGL 2000 Literature Surveys, and ENGL 3000 and 4000 Literature Topics courses.
- Skills/ability to design and deliver online courses with Desire To Learn (D2L) learning management system software.
- Demonstrated experience working with and/or interest in working with students and colleagues from multi-cultural and diverse backgrounds, working with first-generation college students and using culturally responsive pedagogy and practice.
For further details or to apply online: https://bemidjistate.peopleadmin.com/
If you have general questions about this posting or submitting an application, contact Teresa Hanson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UNIVERSITY / COMMUNITY
Bemidji State University is nestled among the pines along the shores of Lake Bemidji, just blocks from a thriving downtown community. In this Northwoods setting, students, staff, and faculty have a variety of activities at their fingertips. Possessing all the charm and character of a college town, Bemidji remains a tight-knit community of good neighbors and engaged citizens who always come out to cheer for the Bemidji State Beavers. While the city of Bemidji — named after the Ojibwe Chief Shaynowishkung (nicknamed Bemidji) — is home to a diverse population of more than 15,000 people, it serves a regional population of more than 100,000.
Located between three American Indian reservations – Leech Lake, Red Lake and White Earth, students at Bemidji State University have the opportunity to experience a dynamic local culture and history. Bemidji also sits at the center of the legends of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox. The famous statues of Paul and Babe greet students as they drive in from the south along Lake Bemidji.
Though quaint and historic, the city offers the urban conveniences upon which college students rely. Bemidji State is conveniently located minutes away from affordable restaurants, cozy coffee shops, grocery stores, city parks and more. Small, locally owned shops and art sculptures line the streets of downtown Bemidji, while national chains can be found in and around the Bemidji area, including an uptown selection of department stores and restaurants.
The thriving downtown community presents ample opportunities for engagement off-campus. Among other things, there are fine-dining restaurants, cafes, and a natural foods co-op in downtown Bemidji. The historic Paul Bunyan Playhouse has a calendar of classic shows; restaurants and lounges offer weekly live music performances; the First Friday Art Walk provides a tour of new monthly art exhibits; and annual events such as the Loop the Lake Festival, the Dragon Boat Festival, the Blue Ox Marathon, Bemidji Winterfest, and The Minnesota Finlandia bring the community together.
For those who love the outdoors, there are wooded, multi-use trail systems within minutes of campus and community parks with walking trails, playgrounds and a skate park. Lake Bemidji State Park and its miles of navigable trails is located directly across the lake from BSU, and the Buena Vista Ski Area — just 12 miles north of campus — offers downhill skiing and BSU-sponsored student transportation in the winter months. Further, the Mississippi River Headwaters is a mere 45 minutes from Bemidji.
For further information, visit our website at: http://www.bemidjistate.edu
Review a "special report on how this former lumber town has rebuilt itself as a high-speed, regional center of enterprise" at Bemidji 2.0
- Visit Bemidji – https://www.visitbemidji.com/
- 218 Relocate / Greater Bemidji – https://www.218relocate.com/
- Bemidji Area Chamber of Commerce – https://www.bemidji.org/
- Explore Minnesota – https://www.exploreminnesota.com/article/top-things-to-do-bemidji