Professor/Chair - English
- USF Department of English
- Location details
- Tampa, FL
- Position type
- Department chair
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Composition and rhetoric, Comparative literature, Creative writing
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
The Department of English at USF invites applications for the position of Department Chair, a 12-month administrative appointment reporting to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. The position will be located on the Tampa campus and have a start date of August 8, 2022. The new Chair will be appointed with tenure at the rank of Full Professor.
The department seeks an experienced, dynamic, and engaged leader who will leverage the potential of the department, its faculty, and its students across all three USF campuses. We welcome applicants with expertise in the areas of creative writing, professional and technical communication, rhetoric and composition, and/or literary studies who will contribute directly to the mission of the department, enhance its regional and national visibility, and guide a strategic vision for its success.
The successful candidate will
• lead the department in re-invigorating a compelling vision for the English Department as a multi-campus department at USF;
• promote an inclusive and engaging environment for all departmental faculty and staff across campuses, grounded in a commitment to faculty governance and in effective mentoring and professional development;
• continue to develop the department’s commitment to recruit and support diverse faculty and students and foster a culture that promotes justice and equity;
• value and motivate research and teaching contributions from faculty to ensure a common commitment to the department’s success;
• further enhance the department’s research and external funding record;
• have a strong commitment to teaching and mentoring and understand the skills and acumen necessary for students to succeed;
• promote cutting-edge, innovative, and diverse undergraduate and graduate curricula that respect departmental values of justice and equity;
• foster a culture of active alumni engagement with the department and engage in fundraising efforts;
• work collaboratively with other department chairs and with college and university administrators;
• oversee the English Department’s budget, hiring, and personnel evaluation;
• maintain a productive research program and teach in both the undergraduate and graduate programs.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education & Experience):
The applicant must hold one of the following degrees from an accredited institution: PhD in English, Rhetoric and Composition, Creative Writing, or related field or MFA in Creative Writing. The applicant must have earned the title of Full Professor and meet USF’s criteria for appointment at the rank of Full Professor.
The successful applicant will have a clearly defined and well-established research agenda and reputation as a scholar/writer; substantive previous administrative experience; and a strong track record teaching in one of the English Department’s curriculum areas (creative writing, professional and technical communication, or literary studies).
How To Apply
Go to http://employment.usf.edu for Job ID 28858 by completing the required information and attaching a single PDF file that includes a cover letter, CV, administrative philosophy, diversity statement, contact information, and a list of at least three references—including from those that can address the applicant’s capacity for leadership. Only online applications are accepted for this position. Deadline for applications is January 3, 2022.
Click here for additional tutorial information.
Equal Employment Opportunity
USF is an equal opportunity, equal access academic institution that embraces diversity in the workplace.
Conclusion of this search is subject to final budget approval. According to Florida Law, applications and meetings regarding them are open to the public. For disability accommodations, contact Debra Garcia at /firstname.lastname@example.org, a minimum of 48 hours in advance.
The University of South Florida does not discriminate on the basis of sex and prohibits sexual harassment. Any person may report sex discrimination, including sexual harassment (whether or not the person reporting is the person alleged to be the victim of conduct that could constitute sex discrimination or sexual harassment), in person, by mail, by telephone, or by electronic mail, using the contact information listed for the Title IX Coordinator. Reports may be made at any time either online or directly to the University's Title IX Coordinator.
Campus map and location overview: USF - Tampa Campus
More search results
Chair of the School of Literature, Media, and Com…
Georgia Institute of Technology
Chair of the Department of Humanities and Communi…
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Associate/Full Professor and Department Chair
Appalachian State University, Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
Chair-Professor of Spanish Department /College of…
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Head of Department | English
American University of Sharjah