Chair and Professor, Department of English
- Metropolitan State University of Denver
- Location details
- Denver, CO
- Position type
- Department chair, Professor, Associate, Professor, Full
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Composition and rhetoric, English education, Creative writing, Film and media studies, Linguistics
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Chair and Professor, Department of English
Position Number: F00087
Salary for Announcement: The salary range for this position is $98,500 – $110,500. The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based upon a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, education, experience, specialty, and training. The above salary range represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting. MSU Denver offers a full benefits package.
Employee Category: Faculty-CAT I
The Department of English at MSU Denver invites applications for the position of Department Chair and Professor. This is a 12-month administrative appointment reporting to the Dean of the College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences, beginning August 2022. The new Chair will be appointed with tenure at the rank of Associate or Full Professor, with a strong preference for candidates that meet the requirements for Full Professor and have a demonstrated track-record of strong leadership. Candidate expertise may be in any of the fields represented within the department: Composition/Rhetoric; Creative Writing; Literature; Film and Media Studies; English Education; and/or Linguistics. Metropolitan State University of Denver and the Department of English are committed to active and strategic initiatives in our work toward educational equity and promoting a culture of access and inclusion for our students, staff, and faculty. We seek to sustain an inclusive community where all individuals at MSU Denver and in the Department of English are respected, feel a sense of belonging, and are provided proper resources and skillsets to be successful. This success is not limited to our humanities-focused education, but also to the broader development of our students as engaged citizens and valued contributors to the discipline, the community, and society. At MSU Denver, we recognize the value of everyone and every group as part of an inclusive community of belonging. Differences can include but are not limited to culture, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, language, sex, physical appearance, pregnancy, marital/partner status, age, (dis)ability, neurodiversity, creed, religious or spiritual beliefs, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, class, education, gender identity/expression, veteran status, political affiliation, political philosophy, and more. We recognize that these differences can be visible or invisible. MSU Denver is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented and historically minoritized groups. Our student population consists of over 55% first-generation students and over 45% students of color. We are a designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) located in downtown Denver. As the third largest institution of higher education in Colorado and the only institution with an open access mission, MSU Denver is a model university for today's college students. The University serves the most diverse undergraduate student population in the state, as well as the most first-generation students and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals students.
- Cultivate and support an inclusive and engaging environment for all faculty and staff across subdisciplines and categories of rank.
- Lead the department in crafting and implementing goals and outcomes aligning with the university’s new 2030 strategic plan.
- Work in coordination with the dean’s office and other chairs to build cross-disciplinary opportunities for faculty and students.
- Promote and steward the department’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusivity, including recruitment and support for diverse faculty, students, and staff.
- Continue to build upon the department’s regional and national reputation through alumni engagement and community partnerships and supporting faculty in these efforts.
- Maintain a strong, clear commitment to excellence in teaching and advising.
- Direct and steward the English Department’s budget, scheduling, hiring processes, and personnel evaluation.
- Maintain a productive research portfolio and teach both upper and lower division courses.
The applicant must hold one of the following degrees from an accredited institution: PhD in English; Composition/Rhetoric; Literature; Film and Media Studies; English Education; and/or Linguistics; or, an MFA in Creative Writing.
The applicant must have earned the title of Associate or Full Professor and meet MSU Denver’s guidelines for appointment at the rank of either Associate or Full Professor (see MSU Denver department guidelines)
Additionally, applicants must demonstrate:
- Administrative, personnel, and budgetary experience at the department or equivalent/higher level;
- Demonstrated administrative leadership skills and the ability to create an environment for collaboration, transparency, and shared governance, including the ability to understand and manage conflict situations;
- Record of professional accomplishments and scholarship that meet the qualifications for appointment at the rank of associate or full professor in the college; and,
- Demonstrated success teaching and supporting a diverse student population.
- Demonstrated record of fostering diversity, equity, and inclusivity;
- Strong and sustained record of teaching excellence and interdisciplinary initiatives;
- Strong and sustained record of research and publications in one of the department’s subdisciplines;
- Evidence of a strong commitment to helping students obtain a broad-based education;
- Evidence in curriculum development including a commitment to collaboration and innovative pedagogies;
- Evidence of strong interpersonal and communication skills with faculty, staff, students, alumni, senior leadership, and community members;
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex academic organization and work effectively with colleagues across divisions;
- Evidence of a commitment to and success securing external funding and fundraising, either individually or part of a team;
- Evidence of effective community involvement, outreach, leadership, and demonstrated ability to forge partnerships and build productive relationships with both campus and external constituencies including alumni;
- Evidence of recruitment and retention of a diverse faculty and staff, as well as teambuilding, supervision, and staff support for professional development; and
- Demonstrated commitment to student centeredness and optimization of student learning.
Posting Date: 11/15/2021
Closing Instructions: Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Complete applications received by Friday, January 14, 2022 at 11:59 PM MST will receive full consideration. The position is open until filled. All applicants must submit an application and the documents outlined below through our online system, www.msudenverjobs.com. In order for an applicant to be considered for the position, the applicant must have a complete file with the following:
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. Cover Letter/Letter of Application
3. Diversity Statement. In the application section labelled “Other Document,” please provide a diversity statement. 4. Please prepare a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
The health and safety of students, faculty, staff and our prospective teammates are our highest priority and as an institution, we are required to have proof of vaccination on file for all employees.
MSU Denver is requiring all employees to provide proof of being fully vaccinated for Covid-19, or to submit an exemption and be subject to following the Covid-19 safety protocols. As an employee of MSU Denver, an exemption or lack of proof of vaccination will require you to submit to weekly Covid-19 testing starting the week of August 23, 2021. Additionally, all institutions on campus are requiring that masks be worn indoors regardless of your vaccinations status.
To apply, visit https://www.msudenverjobs.com/postings/18181
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Similar searches: Full-time, Composition and rhetoric, Department chair, 4-year college or university, Creative writing, English, English education, Colorado, Professor, Associate, Film and media studies, Professor, Full, Linguistics
More search results
OPEN RANK SEARCH IN GLOBAL BLACK URBAN STUDIES
Department of Afroamerican and African Studies
Faculty in World Literature (Bard High School Ear…
Non-tenure-track Adjunct Lecturer in Spanish
Northwestern Spanish and Portuguese
Writing Center Coordinator
Virginia Military Institute
Assistant Professor of English
Virginia Military Institute