Lecturer in Japanese
- Rice University
- Location details
- Houston, TX
- Commensurate with experience
- MLA - Japanese
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
Lecturer in Japanese
Full-time Lecturer position at Rice University’s Center for Languages & Intercultural Communication located in Houston, TX.
Rice University’s Center for Languages and Intercultural Communication (CLIC) invites applications for a full-time Lecturer in Japanese. This two-year appointment will begin 07/01/2022. Upon successful performance review, the appointee can be offered additional contracts.
W.M. Rice University in Houston, TX seeks full-time Lecturer in Japanese with ability to teach all levels Japanese language and culture, and special consideration for candidates capable of also teaching other languages.
Job duties include:
- Teaching Japanese language undergraduate curriculum with the possibility of teaching courses on Japanese culture in Japanese and English.
- Developing a coherently articulated program of instruction across proficiency levels. Implementing an innovative research-based curriculum.
- Designing, preparing, evaluating, and implementing syllabi, lesson plans, and assessment instruments for in-person or online courses.
- Participating in the development and administration of students’ language proficiency assessment tools.
- Organizing and participating in language-related and CLIC events as well as recruitment activities.
Must have an M.A. in Japanese, Second Language Education or related field completed by December 31, 2021. In addition, must have three years of experience in teaching Japanese language, and one year of teaching Japanese language at the U.S. university level. If the M.A. is not in Japanese or Second Language Education (or similarly worded field) but is in a related field, candidate must have completed at least 3 graduate courses in language teaching methodologies or possess a certification in second language teaching methodologies at the time of interview. Teaching experience cannot substitute for coursework in second language acquisition.
Must have native or near-native ability to read, write and speak Japanese and English. Proficiency in both languages is demonstrated by successfully completing a Rice video/audio interview during the interview process.
Ph.D. in Japanese, Second Language Education or related field and ability to teach Japanese culture and /or literature. The Ph.D. degree will be considered if it was received (or if candidate has completed all the requirements for the degree) by June 30,2022. Successful applicants with a PhD may be able to teach an occasional class for the Department of Transnational Asian Studies. Candidates who can teach another language will also receive special consideration.
Applications that lack any of the requirements will not be considered for review.
- Cover letter
- Main aspects of your language teaching philosophy/approach.
- Describe innovative teaching project(s).
- How you envision yourself contributing to CLIC.
- With a focus on language teaching experiences.
- Annotated Lesson Plan for a lesson that combines language and culture instructions
- Explanation of learning outcomes and goals for all activities.
- Include any audio, video, or written supplementary materials.
- Include both lesson plan and student handouts.
- Student Evaluations from the last three years: numbers and comments.
- Three References: Names and contact information. No recommendation letters accepted or needed.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Student Evaluations
- Lesson Plan
- Supplemental Questions
Deadline for Application: February 18, 2022
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
More search results
Princeton University German Department
Chinese Language Scholar
Lecturer – Spanish
Johns Hopkins University - Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Visiting Assistant Professor of German
Visiting Assistant Professor/Visiting Instructor …