Head of Department | English
- American University of Sharjah
- Location details
- Sharjah, UAE
- Position type
- Department chair
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- Other international
American University of Sharjah
The Department of English in the College of Arts and Sciences at American University of Sharjah (AUS) invites applications for the position of Head of Department. The department seeks an experienced and engaged leader to guide its programs, including the Bachelor of Arts in English Language and Literature, the Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), and the university writing program.
The following are minimum qualifications and should be addressed in the application letter:
- PhD in Literature, Linguistics, Rhetoric and Composition or highly related discipline
- a record of successful academic administrative leadership including personnel management
- minimum rank of associate professor
- a record of highly effective teaching
- a distinguished record of relevant scholarship
- experience in program accreditation and curriculum development
- experience in faculty evaluation and mentoring
- experience in supporting graduate programs and/or Writing Program Administration (WPA)
In addition to the above, the college will give preference to candidates with:
- academic administrative experience at the level of program director, department chair or equivalent
- experience working with a master’s TESOL program
- experience in the North American style of higher education
- awareness of diverse linguistic, cultural, historical contexts of the region
- demonstrated commitment to interdisciplinary and collaborative research
- demonstrated commitment to the development of quality teaching and learning
The Head of Department will:
- lead a department of over 30 faculty who teach in literature, language and writing studies and conduct research in an array of areas, including literary studies, women’s and cultural studies, applied linguistics, second-language acquisition, rhetoric, composition and writing studies, and English for Specific Purposes (ESP), among others
- continue ongoing revisions to and development of curriculum to foster an interdisciplinary undergraduate degree and dynamic writing program
- direct program development and recruitment for the MA TESOL program
- manage accreditation requirements
- provide leadership in the recruitment and retention of faculty and students
- engage in effective teaching at the undergraduate and/or graduate level
- represent the department in the college, university and external agencies, and participate in policy development and other service
Date of Commencement
The job commences mid-August 2022.
American University of Sharjah is a not-for-profit, independent, coeducational institution of higher education formed on American models but thoroughly grounded in Arab culture. Located in University City, Sharjah, AUS offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 5,000 students from approximately 90 nations. English is the language of instruction and the workplace. AUS has been ranked among the top ten Arab universities by QS World University Rankings every year for the past seven consecutive years.
AUS is licensed and its programs are accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the Ministry of Education's Higher Education Affairs Division in the United Arab Emirates. AUS has been accredited in the United States of America by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA, Tel +1 215 662 5606) since June 2004.
The Department of English is located within the College of Arts and Sciences. In addition to its two-degree programs, the department also administers the university writing program, which serves over 1,200 students each semester. The department’s courses in literature, linguistics, and academic and professional communication provide students with insight into the relationship between language, thought and culture in a global context. Students in the Department of English develop understanding of the ways in which literature, linguistics and written communication reflect and question cultural values and norms, shape and communicate personal and social identities, and enable critical understanding of diverse national, geographic, literary, linguistic and historical contexts.
Application: Applicants should apply online at
Review of applications will begin on January 22, 2022 and continue until the position is filled. Applications should include a letter of application (addressing qualifications), curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Additional information can be found at www.aus.edu/cas/department-of-english or by contacting the Chair of the Search Committee, Dr. Khawlah Ahmed (firstname.lastname@example.org).