Instructor or Senior Instructor I Technical Communication
- Portland State University English Department
- Location details
- Portland, OR
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Technical and business writing
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The English Department at Portland State University invites applications for 1.0 FTE continuous appointment, union (AAUP)-represented Senior Instructor I position to begin September 16, 2022. We seek an active instructor who can contribute to the English Department by teaching core courses in the Master’s in Technical and Professional Writing program, specialized topics courses in research specialty at the graduate and undergraduate levels, and introductory undergraduate-level technical writing courses. Instructional duties may include teaching courses in Advanced Technical Writing, Applied Theory in Technical Communication, User and Usability Research, Topics in Social justice and Technical and Professional Communication, and Introductory Technical Writing. Teaching load is 3/3/3 with course releases for administrative duties, which include coordinating all undergraduate technical and professional writing courses. Priority will be given to candidates with specialized expertise in one or more areas of technical communication: social justice, Black Technical and Professional Communication, community-based approaches, accessibility, and user experience.
Application review will begin January 24, 2022. Apply at https://jobs.hrc.pdx.edu/postings/36553.
- Ph.D. in Technical Communication or a related discipline and prior college level teaching experience.
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Experience with online teaching.
Key Cultural Competencies:
- Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages and celebrates differences.
- Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds.
- Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement.
- Adheres to all PSU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
Compensation and Benefits:
The starting annual salary rate for this position will be:
- Instructor: Between $46,071 and $48,609.
- Senior Instructor I: $52,524.
The starting salary may be negotiable above this range, however it will be dependent upon the knowledge, experience, skills and abilities of the chosen candidate, the budget of the hiring department, and approval from HR.
PSU’s excellent benefits package includes 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities: https://www.pdx.edu/human-resources/benefits-overview. Please visit our total compensation calculator to see the full value of our benefits package: https://www.pdx.edu/human-resources/psu-total-compensation-calculator.
Portland State University is Oregon’s most affordable public research university, located in the heart of one of America’s most dynamic cities. Our mission to “let knowledge serve the city” reflects our dedication to turning ideas into action — in Portland and around the world. The city is our campus, giving students unmatched access to career connections, a vibrant cultural scene and hands-on learning experiences with hundreds of community partners.
More than 27,000 students from all backgrounds bring diverse perspectives to our classrooms and campus life, from the tree-lined Park Blocks to the bustling Urban Plaza and state-of-the-art science labs. We are proud of our world-class faculty, groundbreaking research and international reputation for excellence in sustainability, community engagement and innovation.
For information about the English Department, please visit this link: https://www.pdx.edu/english/.