Associate/Full Professor and Department Chair
- Location details
- North Carolina
- Position type
- Department chair
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- English as a Second Language, Arabic, Chinese, Classical languages, Japanese, Portuguese, French, Germanic, Russian, Spanish
- Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- North Carolina
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
The Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures at Appalachian State University invites applications for the position of Department Chair. This is a tenure-track position with administrative duties, at the rank of Associate or Full Professor.
- Earned doctorate in one of the areas instructed in the department or in a closely-related field.
- Native or near-native proficiency in English and another language.
- Proven ability to work productively with a diverse group of faculty and students.
- Previous administrative skills and experience in a higher education context.
- Teaching experience in an area relevant to the department.
- Evidence of a solid record in research, scholarly or creative activities.
- Vision for support of all departmental programs and their continued growth.
- Evidence of successful collaboration with faculty or programs across departments.
- Potential to manage enrollment, scheduling, and staffing to support program quality.
- Familiarity with policies pertaining to student privacy, students and faculty with disabilities, and international travel/teaching/research.
- Commitment to supporting and promoting research, scholarly, and creative endeavors by faculty and students.
- Experience in community and alumni outreach and commitment to cultivating a stronger relationship between our department and the community at large.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide vision and day-to-day leadership in a multi-language department for a diverse faculty and student body.
- Teach in one of the areas instructed in the department.
- Advise students and mentor faculty.
- Maintain an agenda of scholarly or creative activity.
- Represent the department within the university and to outside constituencies.
About the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
Housed in the College of Arts and Sciences, Appalachian State's Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures is home to a diverse faculty and offers a variety of courses in language, culture, literature, and linguistics. These courses support General Education as well as the department’s programs, which include bachelor’s degrees in East Asian Languages and Cultures, French and Francophone Studies, German, Spanish and Hispanic Studies, and initial licensure programs for K-12 French and Spanish teachers. The department also offers minors in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, and TESL/Applied Linguistics, two years of instruction in Latin and Portuguese, and graduate programs in French and Spanish K-12 and College Teaching.
About Appalachian State University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
How to Apply / Contact Information
Please submit all materials indicated below through Appalachian State University’s employment platform at https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/30809.
1. Letter of Interest describing your experience, qualifications, commitment to diversity, and interest in the position.
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Vision Statement: Short (maximum 2 page) statement describing the candidate’s vision for a multi-language and multicultural department within the university.
Review of applications will begin on January 10, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled.
Questions should be directed to Dr. Benji Souza, Search Chair, at email@example.com.
Similar searches: Full-time, Arabic, Department chair, 4-year college or university, Chinese, Classical languages, English as a Second Language, French, Germanic, Japanese, Language teaching, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, North Carolina
More search results
Visiting Assistant Professor of German
University of Missouri School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
German Studies (Assistant Professor of Educationa…
Central, Eastern and Northern European Studies, UBC
Lecturer - Germanic Languages and Literatures
The Ohio State University
Lecturer - Germanic Languages and Literatures (R4…
The Ohio State University
Visiting Assistant Professor of Italian Studies