- Virginia Tech English Dept.
- Location details
- Blacksburg, VA
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Speech and communications
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Virginia Tech Department of English is seeking a communications manager to lead communications initiatives and to tell the stories of the department’s faculty, students, alumni, and programs. We are looking for someone with a deep commitment to the value of the humanities; this person will be a thoughtful, eloquent advocate for the department, its mission, and programs.
In addition to the communications management duties, this position includes teaching responsibilities in the department’s undergraduate professional and technical writing program. While we anticipate the position beginning in spring 2022, teaching duties will start during the fall 2022 semester. The teaching load will be two courses per semester with 20 hours per week expected as communications manager. The position reports to the department chair and will be joining the University Relations community, which involves working with communications managers across the college and university.
The department is one of the largest at the university with 100 faculty across multiple ranks; 350 majors in English language and literature, creative writing, and professional writing; 200 minors; and six classified staff members. In addition to the B.A., the department offers an M.A. in English language and literature, an M.F.A. in creative writing, and a Ph.D. in rhetoric and writing. There are over 60 graduate students, most of whom are fully funded as Graduate Teaching Assistants. Through first-year writing, service courses in business and technical writing, and the Writing Center, the department additionally serves thousands of students.
The department fully embraces Virginia Tech’s commitment to increase faculty, staff, and student diversity; to ensure a welcoming, affirming, safe, and accessible campus climate; to advance our research, teaching, and service mission through inclusive excellence; and to promote sustainable transformation through institutionalized structures. Members of groups historically underrepresented in the professoriate are especially encouraged to apply.
● Manage department communications, including regular newsletters with internal and external audiences, social media (also coordinating with program directors to assist with social media), and promotional materials
● Work with department leadership to develop and implement a strategic communications plan
● Manage the department web presence
● Coordinate with the college communications team
● Develop stories and brand awareness campaigns to highlight departmental success; to reach and appeal to multiple audiences, including alumni; to publicize events; and to market programs to prospective undergraduate and graduate students
● Use analytics to guide media campaigns
● Work with student interns in professional communications and digital media roles, and direct and manage their workload (will be included in the manager’s teaching load)
● Teach professional and technical writing courses
The full-time, 12-month position is based at the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Virginia. Flex/hybrid work options will be considered, but the job does require a regular on-campus presence.
Additional Information: The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check and documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
Application materials include a cover letter and current CV, a teaching statement (including a teaching history if applicable with a summary of classes taught, enrollment, and teaching evaluations), and contact information for at least three professional references.
Review of applications will commence on January 6, 2022, and continue until the position is filled. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr. James Dubinsky (email@example.com or 540-641-2564). We will interview finalists via Zoom. If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Patty Morse at email firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days before the event.Required qualifications (Visible to applicant):*● Graduate degree in writing studies or equivalent
● Teaching experience and interest in working with students
● Social media experience
● Strong communication and writing skills
● Strong leadership skills
● Ability to manage multiple projects and coordinate with a team
Preferred qualifications (Visible to applicant):● Experience with photography, videography, and graphic design;
● Experience in higher education, independent school, scientific organization, or nonprofit environment.
● Proficiency with cutting-edge platforms and software, content management experience, and/or data analytics experience.