Clinical Assistant Professor- Director of Spanish Heritage Language Program
- Location details
- Chicago, IL
- Position type
- Other, Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies and the School of Literatures, Culture Studies and Linguistics at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) announce a search to fill a full-time non-tenure track faculty position at the Clinical Assistant Professor level in Hispanic Studies. UIC is a diverse Hispanic Serving R1 Institution that provides a supportive environment for interdisciplinary research.
The Director of the Spanish Heritage Language Program, together with the Head of the Department, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, and the Faculty Heritage Language Consultant, maintains and coordinates the Spanish Heritage Language program (https://hip.uic.edu/programs/span/acad/blps/heritage/). The program consists of two (2) levels with approximately 15-25 sections per level per semester.
There are multiple opportunities to collaborate with other campus units such as LARES (Latin American Recruitment and Educational Services), First at LAS, Latin American and Latino Studies, and the College of Education, as well as Chicago organizations like Bilingualism Matters, the Mexican Fine Arts Museum, the National Museum of Puerto Rican Arts, etc.
This hire is for a Fall 2022 start date.
- Schedule classes and train/support instructors
- Select and train two (2) coordinators, one for each course level.
- Communicate with the Faculty Advisor to the HLP as needed as well as with the Basic Language Program Director
- Oversee course enrollment and placement, including verifying student eligibility and other student needs related to the program
- Teaching load is three (3) courses per semester, with course releases as Program Director. At least one course will be in the Heritage Language Program and another will sometimes be the Heritage Teaching Methods course.
- Organize all activities related to teaching, including textbook selection, developing syllabi and course materials, exams, and administering the online learning system.
- Must hold a Ph.D. in Spanish by the starting date of August 16, 2022.
- Must have a strong teaching record, and have research interests in Spanish as a heritage language.
- Native or near-native competency in Spanish required.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in heritage language program direction, materials development, and blended learning
- Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the United States.
The faculty in the Department of Hispanic and Italian Studies currently serves 118 majors, 105 minors, and over 50 graduate students. The department has MA and PhD programs in literature and linguistics and an MAT, which includes an Illinois K-12 world language teaching license as well as a concentration in heritage language teaching (https://hip.uic.edu/programs/span/acad/grad/mat/). We also offer a Certificate in Heritage Language.
Please visit our website to learn more about our department and faculty:https://lcsl.uic.edu/hispanic-italian
For fullest consideration, please complete an on-line application at https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=152962 and upload a C.V., cover letter and sample syllabus and the names and email addresses of 3 references by March 15, 2022.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899
UIC is an EOE including Disability/Vets.
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
More search results
Lecturer in English
Visiting Clinical Assistant Professor, Department…
New York University Arts and Science
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Frenc…
New York University Arts and Science
K-12 Humane Letters/Philosophy Teacher in AZ and …
Great Hearts Academies
Lecturer – Spanish
Johns Hopkins University - Department of Modern Languages and Literatures