Assistant Professor, Liberal Arts & Education
- Dominican University of California
- Location details
- San Rafael, CA
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Creative writing
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Assistant Professor, Liberal Arts & Education
Level : Experienced
Job Location : Main Campus - SAN RAFAEL, CA
Position Type : Full Time
The Low Residency MFA program in Creative Writing and the Division of Literature, Language, and Humanities at Dominican University of California invite applications for a tenure-track position in Creative Writing at the rank of Assistant Professor to start August 16, 2022.
We seek candidates who will mentor graduate students in fiction and/or creative nonfiction in the MFA program and can contribute broadly at the undergraduate level in the areas of literature, creative writing, and composition.
The ideal candidate must hold a PhD in literature (or a related field) or an MFA in Creative Writing with at least one full-length novel or memoir published with national distribution, experience teaching at the undergraduate level, and evidence of scholarship and/or additional creative publication.
The successful candidate will teach composition to all students across three schools, including students in nursing, occupational therapy, business, social sciences, natural sciences, and dance, as well as literature and creative writing courses as electives or major requirements. In addition to teaching foundational courses, there are opportunities to teach lower division courses in the Core curriculum program (general education courses).
Workload consists of 21 units of teaching each year (typically a 3/2 course load) with 3 units release time for research, scholarly, or creative activity. Along with their teaching duties and scholarship, Dominican faculty take an active role in contributing to the intellectual life on campus by participating in university wide committees, professional development activities, and advising majors and minors.
The division has been and continues to be the vanguard of diversity hires among faculty/staff and of diverse course offerings. We are also committed to the University's five-year strategic Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion plan (https://bit.ly/3DXLWzh). We welcome all qualified applicants who share our DEI commitments to apply, and we particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups, women, and BIPOC candidates.
- PhD in literature (or a related field) or MFA with at least one full-length novel or memoir with national distribution. The degree must be completed at time of appointment.
- Background and/or experience commensurate with the position of Assistant Professor and sufficient to teach graduate and undergraduate creative writing courses (fiction and/or creative nonfiction).
- Experience teaching rhetoric across modalities (oral, textual, visual)
Ability to teach and conduct research in one or more of the following areas:
- Specialties in empire, race and/or diaspora; gender studies, feminist theory, LGBTQIA+ studies; ethnic studies (esp. Asian American / Pacific Islander or Indigenous literatures); film and media studies; disability studies; narrative medicine or health humanities; digital and/or public humanities; journalism; audio narratives; literature and social justice (such as Shakespeare in the community)
- Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience in teaching and advising students.
- Hands-on experience with literary communities such as running a reading series or working at a press will be an asset.
Additional Position Information
- Priority will be given to applications submitted by February 15, 2022; however additional applications may be considered until the position is filled
- Must be willing to consent to a background check
- Submit Cover letter, CV, writing sample (20 pages), teaching dossier (teaching philosophy, sample syllabi, evaluations), and three letters of recommendation.
For More Information Contact:
Judy Halebsky, Professor, School of Liberal Arts and Education
To apply, visit https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=69003&clientkey=379D25BEB04D4E67539308A7BD902D82
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Japanese
FULL-TIME FACULTY POSITION IN MODERN LANGUAGES AN…
Fashion Institute of Technology
Distinguished Scholar in British and Global Lite…
Western Colorado University CALL Department
NYUAD Research Institute / Humanities Research Fe…
Tenure Track Assistant/Associate Professor in Eng…