Visiting Assistant Professor in Chinese Language & Literature
- Occidental College
- Location details
- Occidental College, Los Angeles
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Comparative literature
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The East Asian Studies Department at Occidental College seeks a one-year Visiting Assistant Professor for Fall and Spring semesters 2022-23 to teach Chinese language and literature courses. A successful candidate would contribute to the Chinese and East Asian Studies majors and minors of the department as well as to the Group Languages major and the Comparative Studies in Literature and Culture major and minor. We would like a candidate that can teach broadly in traditions of Chinese literature. While currently offer classes on Classical Chinese and medieval literature, we would be happy to consider applicants from any time period and genre of literature.
Occidental College is a nationally-ranked small liberal arts college in Northeast Los Angeles, and is recognized for its diverse student body, its commitment to academic excellence and equity, and its outstanding undergraduate research programs.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Teaching responsibilities will be six courses (3-3), including:
- Chinese language classes at the beginning and advanced levels
- literature in translation courses, culture courses, or First Year Seminars taught in English
- applicants must be trained in Chinese language and literature
- native or near-native fluency in standard Mandarin
- by the start of employment, applicants should hold a PhD, but will also consider doctoral candidates in the ABD stage
- strong candidates will possess a record of or potential for teaching excellence. They will engage a variety of teaching approaches, as well as best practices to support the intellectual flourishing of all members of our diverse student body.
Applications are due March 1st. Applicants should include:
- cover letter describing your teaching experience and interest in teaching at a liberal arts college
- curriculum vitae
- evidence of teaching excellence
- titles and course descriptions for up to two proposed literature courses
- names of 3 references (do not request letters at this time)
Send all materials in electronic form to Romy Corona <email@example.com>. Inquiries about the position, about the East Asian Studies department, or about current and proposed courses can be directed to the search committee chair, Prof. Alexander Day at firstname.lastname@example.org.