Lecturer in Spanish
- Location details
- Columbus, Ohio
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese within the College of Arts and Sciences seeks to hire 6 highly qualified instructors in the field of foreign and second language teaching to serve as Associated Faculty (non-tenure-track).
The College of Arts and Sciences at the Ohio State University is the largest college and the academic heart of the university. The College hosts 81 major and offers courses in approximately 31 languages. With 38 departments, 20+ world-class research centers, and more than 2,000 faculty and staff members, students have the unique opportunity to study with the best artists, scholars, and scientists in their field. The College values diversity and offers a supportive, open, and inclusive community, and the work of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese (SPPO) offers services and programming that reflect these values.
Summary of Duties:
Appointment terms are up to three academic years beginning in Autumn 2022, with the possibility of renewal based on positive performance and department need. The Associated Faculty position includes duties related to both teaching and service. Successful candidates will teach up to 8 Spanish undergraduate courses per year (4 per autumn and spring semesters) at the elementary and/or intermediate level; author quizzes and contribute to the writing of shared exams; grade quizzes and exams; develop and contribute materials for communicative-based classroom instruction; interact with students during regular office hours; deliver additional service to undergraduate students in the Teaching and Learning Center to provide tutoring, instructor-guided small group conversation, and/or writing assistance; attend meetings when required; participate in professional development workshops; demonstrate an on-going commitment to professional development; participate in the life of the department; contribute to a positive work environment; plus other duties and special projects as assigned, such as the opportunity to serve as coordinator of a particular course level, collaborate with our education abroad program(s), participate in data collection efforts, etc.
Ohio State University Benefits:
The Ohio State University offers outstanding benefits programs. Please visit http://hr.osu.edu/benefits for complete benefits information including health, retirement, leave, tuition assistance, and work-life balance.
- Master's degree in Spanish, Foreign and Second Language Teaching, or related discipline;
- native or near-native fluency in Spanish and English;
- record of excellence in teaching Spanish language, especially at the college/university level;
- strong understanding of current best practices in second language pedagogy and superior language teaching skills;
- familiarity with ACTFL standards;
- commitment to outstanding undergraduate teaching, curricular innovation, and professional growth;
- versatility to teach multiple levels, elementary through intermediate as well as availability to teach during day and evening hours, as necessary;
- experience using basic technology such as Microsoft Office, Zoom, etc.
- ability to work collegially and effectively with both students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds as well as foster an inclusive classroom environment;
- participate in professional development opportunities such as attending a conference(s) and/or webinar(s), participating in a professional organization(s), and/or engaging in other scholarly inquiry that informs classroom instruction at least once per year (at a minimum).
- ability to teach either face-to-face or online basic language courses, as needed; and
- knowledgeable in best practices in online basic language teaching.
- Ph.D. in Spanish, Foreign and Second Language Teaching, or related discipline;
- familiarity with synchronous and asynchronous online tools for language teaching, Pearson’s MyLab, and the Learning Management System Canvas (called “Carmen” at OSU);
- familiarity with Integrated Performance Assessments (IPAs); and
- prior coordination experience.
Submit the following required materials via Workday application at the following link: https://osu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/OSUCareers/job/Columbus-Campus/Lecturer-in-Spanish_R38390-1
- A brief cover letter that explicitly addresses the summary of duties and qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- 2-3 recent, complete sets of teaching evaluations from students
- A teaching philosophy that discusses Second Language (L2) teaching and how it informs your classroom instruction
Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. For additional information related to this position, please contact Acting Language Program Director, Megan Lobert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More search results
Lecturer in Heritage Spanish
The Ohio State University - Department of Spanish & Portuguese
Lecturer in Discipline (Spanish)
Lecturer in Spanish Linguistics
Washington University in St Louis Romance Languages
Lecturer – Spanish
Johns Hopkins University - Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Visiting Assistant Professor of Spanish
University of Missouri - School of Languages, Literatures & Cultures