Full Time Spanish Faculty
- Location details
- 525 East Houston Street, New York, NY
- salary commensurate with experience
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant, Teacher
- Organization type
- 2-year college, K–12 school
- English, Portuguese, Spanish
- Comparative literature, Humanities, Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- New York
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
Employer Website: http://apply.interfolio.com/104448
Bard High School Early College-Manhattan, a partnership of Bard College and the New York City Department of Education, invites applications for full time faculty position to teach Spanish language, literature, and culture courses starting in the 2022-2023 academic semester. BHSEC, a national model in the field of public school reform, enables talented and highly motivated students to move in four years from the ninth grade through the first two years of college, earning an associate of arts (A.A.) degree from Bard College as well as a New York State Regents diploma. The academic program emphasizes small class size and a commitment to teaching a diverse student body in a liberal arts environment. More information about BHSEC is available here: https://bhsec.bard.edu/manhattan
The world language program at BHSEC Manhattan employs the immersion method in all its courses and stresses the study of the cultural contexts in which languages are created and spoken. Students attain intermediate level proficiency in three years of required language coursework and frequently continue on with more advanced classes. The successful applicant will teach a total of four courses in our high school and early college programs. Classes are in session from early September to early June. PhD or PhD candidate with research interest in Latin American literature and culture is preferred. Experience in working with younger students and demonstrated commitment to scholarship are desirable. Native fluency or its equivalent is required. An ability to teach classes in translation is also a plus.
Location: Bard High School Early College at 525 Houston Street in New York City, NY
Start Date: Late August 2022
- This position is open to experienced teacher-scholars who hold a Master's or PhD in Spanish literature or a related field, such as Latin American Studies.
- The successful candidate should be capable of teaching college literature classes as well as language classes at all levels up to an including the 200-level.
- We seek teachers and scholars deeply committed to their field and creative in engaging students at both the college and high school levels.
- New York State teaching certification is a plus
- Interest in working with high school age students who are completing a college-level course of study
- We are seeking candidates with a strong commitment to equity and social justice and desire to open up opportunities for underrepresented students
- Candidates must understand cultural difference and purposefully help to uplift ideas from underrepresented groups to improve the equity balance in education
- A commitment to reducing and an openness to learning about potential barriers to inclusion are needed
Please apply directly with Bard College / Bard Early Colleges. Do this by clicking on the “Apply Now” button found through the Interfolio job application link provided here: http://apply.interfolio.com/104448
Use the Interfolio link provided to upload the following documents directly with Bard College:
- Letter of interest
- C.V. / resume
- Contact information for three references
- Proposal for an elective course based on research area
REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS BEGINS MAY 1 AND WILL PROCEED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
If you have any questions about the position, please reach out to Dean of Academic Life, William H. Hinrichs, email@example.com. Include your name and “Fall 2022 Spanish Search” in the subject line.
All application materials must be submitted electronically through the Interfolio job application link provided.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, mental, or physical disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, familial status, veteran status, or genetic information.
Bard is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for all individuals in employment practices, services, programs, and activities.
Similar searches: Comparative literature, 2-year college, Full-time, English, K–12 school, Professor, Assistant, Humanities, Teacher, Language teaching, Portuguese, Spanish, New York