Associate Director of the University Writing Program
- Northern Arizona University
- Location details
- Flagstaff, AZ
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Technical and business writing, Creative writing
- Employment category
Associate Director of the University Writing Program
Job ID: 606193
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
This posting is to hire a 12-month, benefit-eligible, non-tenure-eligible administrative faculty, Associate Director of the University Writing Program. This position will begin July 1, 2022.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
The University Writing Program (UWP) is looking for an Associate Director to manage the daily operations for the University Writing Program. The University Writing Program offers English 105 and English 205, courses that fulfill the university's composition requirement. The Associate Director will also hold primary responsibility to:
- Manage the UWP office in person during the work week
- Work with the Academic Director to plan and run the two-week pre-fall-semester orientation/training for new and returning GTAs and instructors, a training that is guided by the principles and scholarship of the field of rhetoric and composition
- Hire, supervise, and twice annually evaluate graduate teaching assistants
- Conduct regular classroom observations
- Hire, supervise, and evaluate UWP office staff
- Coordinate with the University Writing Commons about staffing priorities
- Determine scheduling needs and priorities for classes and meetings
- Determine staffing needs (fall, spring, summer, full-time and part-time, f2f and distance)
- Coordinate and update UWP policies in coordination with university policies and in congruence with principles of the discipline of rhetoric and composition
- Coordinate with Program in Intensive English (PIE) and Center for International Education (CIE) about scheduling, numbers, and staffing for international students
- Lead the UWP instructor/lecturer team that mentors GTAs, in consultation with the Academic Director
- Handle academic integrity, disruptive behavior, and assault reports and similar, following university policy
- Coordinate and update UWP policies to align with both university policies and the principles of the discipline of rhetoric and composition
- Ensure that teachers enforce UWP and university policies
- Coordinate with Academic Director on field-specific professional development for UWP faculty
- Resolve student complaints and grade appeals
- Participate regularly in professional development in the field and in program management
- Provide evaluation documents for faculty the annual review committee for the English Department
- Work with the Academic Director to conduct program assessments following best practices in composition studies
- Evaluate syllabi for articulation decisions
The Associate Director will typically teach three sections of our standard-curriculum in-person English 105 each year (across fall, spring, and summer) and perform other duties as assigned by the Chair of the English Department or the Academic Director of the UWP.
- MA in Rhetoric and Composition, Writing Studies, or closely related field with certificate in rhetoric
- One year of experience directly supervising faculty and/or staff
- One year of experience as an assistant director or similar of a university composition program
- Four years of college-level teaching experience, including at least three years of college level composition teaching
- ABD or PhD in Rhetoric and Composition or Writing Studies
- Theoretical grounding in writing studies and/or rhetorical studies pedagogy
- Demonstrated facility with data management related to faculty teaching loads and other programmatic considerations
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage a diverse group of faculty and staff
- Demonstrable commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice and working with underrepresented populations
- Experience successfully resolving conflict
- Demonstrated success teaching underrepresented student populations and/or supporting diverse communities
- Experience making staffing and course scheduling decisions
- Experience applying policies in complicated situations
- Exceptional organizational skills, including email management
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to plan and effectively execute professional development training for writing teachers
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching composition
Northern Arizona University has a student population of 29,569, including approximately 21,000 on its main campus in Flagstaff and the remainder at more than 20 locations statewide and online.
Committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment, NAU has earned a solid reputation as a university with all the features of a large institution but with a personal touch, with a faculty and staff dedicated to each student's success. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes.
While our emphasis is undergraduate education, we offer a wide range of graduate programs and research. Our institution has carefully integrated on-campus education with distance learning, forming seamless avenues for students to earn degrees.
Flagstaff has a population of about 70,000, rich in cultural diversity. Located at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks, Flagstaff is 140 miles north of Phoenix at intersection of Interstate 17 and Interstate 40.
For information about diversity, access and equity at NAU, see the Center for University Access and Inclusion webpage.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement.
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
This is an Administrative Faculty (ADF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP); 22 days of vacation, sick leave accruals, and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page. Administrative Faculty are hired on a contract basis, renewable annually according to the terms of offer. Upon completion of the administrative assignment, employees will return to the faculty role, renewable according to the Conditions of Faculty Service. Academic year (9 month) faculty do not accrue vacation. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). Employees will have 31 days from date of hire to enroll in benefits, and their benefits will then be effective the first day of the pay period following their completed enrollment. If a new employee chooses the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) retirement option, participation in the ASRS Plan (and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it) will begin on the first of the pay period following 183 days of employment. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP; an alternative to the ASRS plan) will begin to participate on the first day of employment. The long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following 90 days of employment. More information about NAU benefits is available at the NAU HR benefits page.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
This vacancy will be open until filled or closed. Review of applications will begin on April 22, 2022.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs, follow the 'Faculty and Administrator Openings' link, locate vacancy 606193, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Application must include the following attachments:
- Letter of interest demonstrating fitness for position
- Administrative philosophy statement
- Diversity statement outlining your understanding of the role of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) in a university setting. Please include examples from past experiences and reference plans to advance DEIJ in your role (2 pages max)
- CV with current email addresses and phone numbers for at least three current references familiar with your work
- Recent evidence of effective teaching (2 pages max)
- Graduate transcripts (unofficial are acceptable) demonstrating completion of degree(s)
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the HR website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=2&JobOpeningId=606193&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
ATSU - Library Liaison AZ
A.T. Still University
Senior Lecturer in Spanish
Arizona State University
K-12 Humane Letters/Philosophy Teacher in AZ and …
Great Hearts Academies
K-12 French Teacher in Greater Phoenix Classical …
Great Hearts Academies
K-12 Spanish Teacher in AZ and TX
Great Hearts Academies