Global Special Collections Librarian
- Princeton University Library
- Location details
- Princeton, NJ
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- New Jersey
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
Princeton University Library (PUL) seeks a Librarian to steward materials that document the Imperial experience and all its complexities from the vantage point of the territories (e.g., colonial West and South Africa, the Black Atlantic, and Indian subcontinent). Recognizing that Imperialism created transnational networks that carried books, ideologies, people (free and enslaved), and resources across the Atlantic and Pacific, the librarian will collect, curate, and care for rare books, manuscripts, documents, and visual material, particularly those created by subjects of imperial rule, moving their narratives and experiences from the archival margins to the center.
The Librarian will work collaboratively with the curatorial team and area specialists to steward and diversify PUL’s outstanding Special Collections (SC) holdings; expand interpretation of materials through teaching; lead digital and bibliographical projects; and democratize access in ways that positively impact the world. PUL is interested in innovative applicants who seek to leverage library resources to help identify, reveal, and combat systemic racism.
This position reports to the Assistant University Librarian for SC, Rare Books and Manuscripts.
· Collaborates with faculty and PUL specialists on instruction
· Collaborates on curatorial acquisitions supporting the PUL’s educational & research mission
· Promotes donor relations and manages gifts
· Works with SC Public Services to provide on-site and remote reference
· Contributes to outreach activities, blogs, library publicity, and public events
· Develops & prepares content as part of an exhibitions team
· Partners with SC Technical Services on accessioning, cataloging, archival processing & description; attends to issues of copyright and privacy
· Collaborates with Preservation on safekeeping of SC materials
· Represents SC across campus, in professional organizations & multi-institutional projects
· Conducts collection-based research for conferences & publications
· Advanced degree in humanities and/or social sciences field engaged with primary sources such as Comparative Literature, History, Cultural Studies
· Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience with special collections/archival materials
· Commitment to diversity, equity, & inclusion; active engagement with PUL stakeholders
· Initiative, flexibility, and willingness to learn new technologies & scholarly communication trends in an expansive, team-based environment
· Experience making relevant acquisitions
· Experience building relationships with stakeholders, including marginalized communities
· Reading knowledge of relevant languages
Princeton is especially interested in highly qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. The position offers significant opportunities for professional development and research. Travel and weekend/evening hours occasionally required.
The successful candidate will be appointed at a Librarian rank appropriate to qualifications and experience. Applications will be accepted only from the AHire website: https://www.princeton.edu/acad-positions/position/25861 and must include a resume, cover letter, and list of three references with full contact information. Application review begins immediately and continues until the position is filled. This position is subject to the University's background check policy.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO is the law.
More search results
Assistant Professor of English
2024 Linguistics Tenure Track Assistant/Associate…
2024 Asian Literature Tenure Track Assistant/Asso…
2024 Translation and Interpretation Tenure Track …
Lecturers on History and Literature at Harvard Un…
Committee on Degrees in History and Literature at Harvard University