Lecturer in Heritage Spanish
- Location details
- Columbus, Ohio
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese within the College of Arts and Sciences seeks a Lecturer in Heritage Spanish (non-tenure track) to join our team. The College of Arts and Sciences is the largest college and the academic heart of the university. The College hosts 81 majors. With 38 departments, 20+ world-class research centers, and more than 2,000 faculty and staff members, students have the unique opportunity to study with the best artists, scholars, and scientists in their field. The College values diversity and offers a supportive, open, and inclusive community.
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese (SPPO) offers services and programming that reflect these values. Outside of SPPO, there are multiple opportunities to collaborate with other campus units and initiatives such as ODI (Office of Diversity and Inclusion), Latina/o Studies, CLAS (Center for Latin American Studies), and over 30 Latinx organizations and associations that recognize the needs of Latinx and Latin American heritage communities associated with OSU.
Appointment terms are up to three academic years beginning in Autumn 2022, with the possibility of renewal based on positive performance and department need. The Associated Faculty position includes duties related to both teaching and service. Successful candidates will teach up to 4 undergraduate courses per year (2 per autumn and spring semesters) in Heritage Spanish plus provide service developing partnerships and relationships related to Heritage Spanish in central Ohio; as well as carry out the responsibilities of language instructor, including authoring and grading quizzes and exams; developing and contributing materials for communicative-based classroom instruction; interacting with students during regular office hours; attend meetings when required; participate in professional development workshops; demonstrate an on-going commitment to professional development; participate in the life of the department; contribute to a positive work environment; plus other duties and special projects as assigned, collaborate with our education abroad program(s), participate in data collection efforts, etc.
Ohio State University Benefits:
The Ohio State University offers outstanding benefits programs. Please visit http://hr.osu.edu/benefits for complete benefits information including health, retirement, leave, tuition assistance, and work-life balance.
- Master's degree in Spanish, Foreign and Second Language Teaching, or related discipline
- native or near-native fluency in Spanish, and English and familiarity with Heritage Spanish
- record of excellence in teaching Heritage Spanish, especially at the college/university level
- strong understanding of current best practices in second language pedagogy and superior language teaching skills; familiarity with ACTFL standards
- commitment to outstanding undergraduate teaching, curricular innovation, and professional growth
- versatility to teach multiple levels, elementary through intermediate as well as availability to teach during day and evening hours, as necessary
- experience using basic technology such as Microsoft Office, Zoom, etc. ability to work collegially and effectively with both students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds as well as foster an inclusive classroom environment
- participate in professional development opportunities such as attending a conference(s) and/or webinar(s), participating in a professional organization(s), and/or engaging in other scholarly inquiry that informs classroom instruction at least once per year (at a minimum).
- ability to teach either face-to-face or online language courses, as needed
- knowledgeable of best practices in online language teaching.
- Experience with outreach to Heritage Spanish-speakers in local high schools.
- Ph.D. in Spanish, Foreign and Second Language Teaching, or related discipline
- familiarity with synchronous and asynchronous online tools for language teaching, Pearson’s MyLab, and the Learning Management System Canvas (called “Carmen” at OSU)
- familiarity with Integrated Performance Assessments (IPAs)
- prior coordination experience.
Submit the following required materials via Workday application
- A brief cover letter that explicitly addresses the summary of duties and qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- 2-3 recent, complete sets of teaching evaluations from students
- A teaching philosophy that discusses Heritage Language (L2) teaching and how it informs your classroom instruction
- A diversity, equity and inclusion statement, reflecting on how these considerations inform your teaching
Review of applications will continue until positions are filled. For additional information related to this position, please contact Professor Rebecca Mason-Vergote at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, Lecturer/instructor, Spanish, Ohio
More search results
A&S_ENG_Visiting Assistant Professor of Creative …
Department of English, University of Miami
Lecturers in English (Rhetoric)
Texas A&M University Department of English
Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge
University of North Texas
Lecturer - Environmental Studies
Rice University, Environmental Studies (ENST)