Use your writing, organizational, and data analysis skills to help support the mission of the Modern Language Association (MLA) to promote the study and teaching of languages and literatures.
The MLA is seeking a communications coordinator with a deep understanding of the humanities higher education landscape to shape our web, e-mail, and social media strategy. Under the supervision of the director of outreach and working closely with other MLA offices, you’ll write copy, maintain our key communication channels, and use analytics to refine MLA communications.
- Working with the director and stakeholder departments, coordinate updates to the website, track analytics, and suggest improvements to information architecture and page content to support UX and SEO goals
- Update outreach content on the website
- Maintain update calendar for the website
- Curate and draft content for social media channels
- Write and design content marketing e-mails
- Monitor results of e-mail campaigns to refine e-mail strategy
- Working with the UI and graphic designer, maintain and organize digital image assets
- Draft news releases and monitor press coverage of the association
- BA in a humanities field
- At least two years of experience in a communications position, preferably in a nonprofit or educational setting
- Experience writing for a broad range of audiences
- Excellent organizational, editing, and research skills
- Proactive in initiating updates, suggesting improvements, identifying strategies and solutions
- At least one year of experience working in content management systems and understanding of web best practices for accessibility and SEO
- At least one year of experience tracking and reporting on Google Analytics
- Professional experience with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn; knowledge of Hootsuite or other social media scheduling and tracking programs desirable
- Experience with e-mail design platforms like Stripo, Mailchimp, Constant Contact, or Emma
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to working collaboratively
- Knowledge of style and usage guides, including the MLA Handbook and The Chicago Manual of Style is preferred
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS a plus
This is a full-time position that will require at least two days each week on-site at the MLA offices in downtown New York City. The MLA provides generous vacation and sick time, flexible work hours, a 403(b) retirement plan, and individual health and dental plans with no shared premium cost. You must be able to work legally in New York State. Please submit a cover letter and résumé to apply. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.