Senior Lecturer in Spanish
- Arizona State University
- Location details
- Tempe, AZ
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Humanities, Language teaching, Linguistics
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
The School of International Letters and Cultures (SILC) at ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY seeks applications for a Senior Lecturer in the area of Spanish Second-Language Acquisition and Pedagogy. We seek a dynamic expert in post-secondary teacher education with specific expertise in Spanish second language acquisition methodologies and leadership development for face-to-face and asynchronous language programs. SILC’s graduate programs are increasing in size at a robust rate, and we seek a candidate who excels in teaching and teacher education to help advance the development of our graduate students as current and future educators at both the secondary and post-secondary levels. Furthermore, the successful candidate will contribute to the development and teaching of a newly established Masters in Language Teaching to help advance the School’s programs to national prominence. The senior lecturer will also contribute to our burgeoning PhD in Spanish linguistics and improve the use of digital technologies in in-person and online programs. They will be expected to teach lower, upper-division, and graduate courses in the Spanish curriculum, online, in-person, and/or hybrid, and hold office hours. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure eligible appointment made on an academic year basis (Aug.16-May 15). Subsequent annual renewal is possible contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of resources, the needs of the university, and sufficient enrollment in assigned courses. Anticipated start date is August 2022.
The College values our cultural and intellectual diversity and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community.
Learn more about what The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has to offer by viewing https://thecollege.asu.edu/faculty. Arizona State University is a leading major public university committed to inclusion and excellence in research and education.
- Ph.D/EdD in Second Language Acquisition/Applied Linguistics/Foreign Language Education or related field at the time of hire.
- 5 year minimum of full-time College-level teaching experience.
- Native or near-native proficiency in both Spanish and English.
- Demonstrated expertise in teacher, curriculum, and leadership development
- Demonstrated effectiveness in online pedagogy and TA supervision in Spanish Language Programs at the post-secondary level;
- Familiarity with second-language acquisition digital learning platforms and technologies in various modalities;
- Research focus or interest in teaching methodologies, applied linguistics, online teaching and learning, or related area;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in college-level teaching, including Spanish hybrid and/or online courses;
- Knowledge of the ACTFL proficiency scale for foreign languages and its application in language programs;
- Demonstrated success meeting the needs of diverse student populations and/or reaching out to diverse communities.
For related information about our Spanish program, please see https://silc.asu.edu/degrees/spanish and https://asuonline.asu.edu/online-degree-programs/undergraduate/bachelor-arts-spanish/.
To guarantee full consideration, applicants must apply electronically to: http://apply.interfolio.com/107288 submitting a complete dossier, which must consist of the following:
- Cover letter outlining how the applicant's experiences fit the qualifications listed above.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Language teaching philosophy statement.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness (quantitative and sample of qualitative data from teaching evaluations).
- A statement addressing how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Contact information for 3 references.
Applicant’s last name should appear in each uploaded file name. Cover letter can be addressed to Dr. Sara Beaudrie, Search Committee Chair. Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at: email@example.com. Initial application deadline is July 7, 2022; if not filled, applications will be reviewed every week thereafter until search is closed.
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
(See https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/)
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination - Arizona State University is a federal contractor and subject to federal regulations which may require you to produce a record of a COVID-19 vaccination. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s webpage.
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, Lecturer/instructor, Arizona, Humanities, Language teaching, Linguistics, Spanish
More search results
Non-tenure-track Adjunct Lecturer in Spanish
Northwestern Spanish and Portuguese
Visiting Assistant Professor of Spanish
Full-time Spanish Faculty
Bard High School Early College Manhattan
Assistant Professor of Spanish
Modern and Classical Languages and Literature
Visiting Assistant Professor, Spanish