FULL-TIME FACULTY POSITION IN MODERN LANGUAGES AND CULTURES, SCHOOL OF LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES
- Fashion Institute of Technology
- Location details
- New York, NY
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- New York
The Modern Languages and Cultures Department seeks a full-time faculty member in French and Francophone Studies. The successful candidate will be experienced in developing initiatives for program growth, contribute to a coherently articulated program of instruction in French across levels of competency and organize cultural activities for students both in and outside of the classroom.
The candidate will be expected to create interdisciplinary curriculum in non-Western Francophone studies as well as in French language and culture. Strengths in postcolonial studies, critical refugee studies, migration studies, gender studies are desirable.
The new faculty member will serve on departmental and college-wide committees and participate in administrative activities as required. Responsibilities will include the design, implementation, and evaluation of syllabi and the development and administration of assessment instruments.
The successful candidate should demonstrate excellence in teaching and a substantial record of scholarship related to French and Francophone cultures.
Successful candidates will excel in the following competencies:
- Speak, understand, and think in other languages.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate across cultural and linguistic boundaries.
- Demonstrate appreciation for cultural diversity and has a positive approach to cultural differences.
- Demonstrate the ability to work within, support, and maintain productive relationships in multicultural environments and models inclusive behaviors for students.
- Design and deliver course content that reflects a balance between classic thought, contemporary practice, and the state of the art in the field.
- Balance both theory and the practical application of knowledge, inclusive of building skills that are required for professional success.
- Design classroom and other learning experiences that foster and promote critical thinking, problem solving, information literacy skills, and creativity.
- Demonstrate instructional variety and flexibility to accommodate students of different learning styles, experiences, abilities, demographics, and diversity.
- Demonstrate the ability to inspire student interest, curiosity, imagination, creativity and love of learning.
- Demonstrate the ability to support difference student learning styles and abilities.
- Support student development and success through curricular, co-curricular and extracurricular activities.
- Embrace and utilize emerging forms of pedagogy, where appropriate, such as team teaching, online teaching, interdisciplinary methods, active learning, etc.
- Support FIT, its mission, goals, and initiatives through both classroom and non-classroom activities.
- Demonstrate currency and active engagement in the profession of one's primary teaching discipline.
- Engage in creative or scholarly activities within the discipline.
- Maintain positive, helpful, supportive, respectful, collegial and collaborative relationships with colleagues and professionals.
- Incorporate instructional technology into delivery of course material and learning experiences.
- Appropriately utilize technology to communicate with, and engage students in, learning outside of the classroom.
- Understand and appreciate the advantages and limitations of utilizing technology for compiling, organizing, analyzing, and synthesizing information.
- Demonstrate an awareness of adaptive assistive devices and technologies available to foster inclusiveness of special needs students and students with different learning styles.
- Ph.D. required in French, Francophone Studies or in Comparative Literature with a Francophone specialization. Native or near-native fluency in French and excellent command of English.
- Five (5) years of relevant college teaching experience
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
This position will be required to continuously read and comprehend, occasionally perform calculations, constantly verbally communicate, frequently analyze, and constantly write. The working conditions for this position will be any combination of the classroom, lab, and/or office space. Certain roles may be required to handle machinery and chemicals. The physical requirement for this position will require occasional sitting, constant standing, occasional bending, frequent walking, and occasionally lifting 10 lbs. or less.
This faculty position will begin Fall 2023. Review of applications will commence in September 2022 and continue until the position is filled. The salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience. Please note a background check is required for appointment to this position.
In order to be considered for this position, please provide:
- Letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position;
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Research Philosophy Statement
- A minimum of three professional references, including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contact information.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at: www.fitnyc.edu.
More search results
2024 Linguistics Tenure Track Assistant/Associate…
2024 Asian Literature Tenure Track Assistant/Asso…
2024 Translation and Interpretation Tenure Track …
Assistant Professor or Associate Professor of Sex…
Rice University Department of English and the Center for the Study of Women, Gender, and Sexuality
Assistant Professor of Spanish and Hispanic Studi…
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures - Lehigh University