Director, Language Learning Center and Language Instructor
- Location details
- Springfield, Ohio
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Chinese, Germanic, Spanish
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of World Languages and Cultures at Wittenberg University seeks a Director for the Language Learning Center (LLC) and Language Instructor (Chinese, German, or Spanish). This position will oversee all aspects of the Language Learning Center to provide a positive learning experience for each student seeking assistance with language learning. The Director ensures high quality support through ongoing training of peer tutors and coordination with faculty members to best meet students' needs. Additional teaching responsibilities in the Department of World Languages and Cultures comprise a 12-credit teaching load throughout the academic year (typically one course during the fall semester and two courses during the spring semester). This is a 10-month position, renewable for up to two years. Following the two years, continuous employment will be negotiated based on available funding.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Hire, train, and manage student employees in the LLC.
- Manage LLC student employment and resources budget.
- Create and maintain tutor schedule for the Center.
- Coordinate tutors for the community.
- Maintain the LLC's CRLA tutor training certification and annually certify tutors.
- Engage with language faculty members to coordinate LLC offerings.
- Maintain, publicize, and build an inventory of language and cultural resources and supervise their use.
- Serve as IT liaison for the LLC.
- Remain informed about additional resources for use in classes and Center and attend related conferences.
- Teaching responsibilities include language pedagogy and tutor training course, field experience placement and supervision for students pursuing teaching licensure, and three language courses (1 in the fall and 2 in the spring).
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned such as special projects, programs, developmental activities, etc.
A Master's degree is required, a PhD (or ABD) is preferred. One to three years relevant experience is required. A broad or in-depth body of knowledge equivalent to that which would be acquired through formal advanced post-graduate education or training in a recognized field of specialization directly related to the type of work being performed is required.
Preference will be given to candidates with an expertise in language pedagogy, second language acquisition and/or teacher training. Additionally, the position requires native or near native fluency in English and language being taught (Chinese, German, or Spanish) and experience teaching at the college level. The successful candidate must have a passion for teaching language plus strong supervisory and administrative skills.
Review of applications will begin immediately with interviews tentatively scheduled for August 17 - 19 and a start date the week of August 22.
Please see our notice of nondiscrimination housed on our website. The successful candidate will demonstrate support for diversity, equity and inclusiveness as well as participate in maintaining a respectful, positive work environment. In that spirit, we are especially interested in receiving applications from individuals who would contribute to the diversity of our community.
Wittenberg University is committed to preventing and addressing sexual misconduct in our campus community. Click here to view our Title IX policies.
To apply, please set up an account and apply through our online system. Then, upload the following documents in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat format:
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Complete transcripts (scanned copies acceptable)
Complete applications should also include three letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation should be on letterhead and may be emailed as PDF's (preferred) or mailed directly to Brandon Weeber, Academic Administrative Assistant and Coordinator, Department of Languages, Wittenberg University, PO Box 720, Ward St. at N. Wittenberg Ave, Springfield, OH 45501-0720 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants who require accommodation during any stage of the hiring process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (937) 327-7517 or email email@example.com.
More search results
2024 Linguistics Tenure Track Assistant/Associate…
2024 Asian Literature Tenure Track Assistant/Asso…
2024 Translation and Interpretation Tenure Track …
Lecturers on History and Literature at Harvard Un…
Committee on Degrees in History and Literature at Harvard University
Assistant Professor or Associate Professor of Sex…
Rice University Department of English and the Center for the Study of Women, Gender, and Sexuality