Digital Humanities Librarian
- Brown University
- Location details
- Providence, RI
- Position type
- Researcher, Administrator, Other, Teacher
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
- Rhode Island
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
The Brown University Library seeks to hire a collaborative, innovative, and creative individual to work as our Digital Humanities Librarian. Working as part of a talented, collaborative team, the person in this position serves a central role in critically thinking about and selecting tools and methodologies for faculty-led projects, project planning for some of the CDS’s digital projects (i.e. managing the intake process, development process, and preservation of the final product), creating digital humanities instructional materials, and teaching digital humanities methods to scholars of all levels across the campus (i.e. faculty, graduate students, undergrads, fellow staff, and the public). The Digital Humanities Librarian will take a proactive, inclusive, critically engaged, and often community-based approach to collaborating on established digital projects and work to develop new, sustainable research projects, classroom support, and instruction in digital methods in the humanities. This work includes continuously looking for ways to integrate diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice into digital humanities practice and projects.
Our current projects include a searchable database that records the little-known history of the enslavement of Indigenous people, a social media analysis project that studies the impact of the pandemic on the maternal health of Black mothers, and a research initiative focused on highlighting the stories of women and girls in hip hop. Because of our mission and projects, we are particularly interested in candidates who are engaged in critical digital humanities (e.g. processes and projects focused on social justice, anti-racism, and historically excluded populations). The Digital Humanities Librarian will report to the Center’s Director and work together with fellow CDS staff, colleagues within the Library’s Academic Engagement, Health and Biomedical Library Services, and Digital Technologies departments, and other staff to promote digital humanities activities in the Library and the University. The position is hybrid eligible (up to 3 days remote).
- Advanced degree in the humanities or social sciences and/or MLS from ALA accredited Library School or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3 years of experience in digital humanities work
- Knowledgeable and experienced with technologies and standards used in digital humanities work such as platforms (Scalar, Omeka, and/or other resources to display digital projects), methodologies (such as text mining, visualization, sentiment analysis, and/or text, image, and/or network analysis, and common scripting languages (such as HTML5, Python, and/or related technologies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current issues in digital humanities
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
- Strong public presentation skills; teaching experience (defined broadly) required.
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility and ability to work creatively and effectively both independently and as a team member.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and justice.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown.
More search results
2023 English Writing Center Director and Tenure T…
Student Counseling Manager
Assistant / Associate Professor in Rhetoric and C…
University of Houston-Downtown
Chair, Department of English
Illinois State University, Department of English
Director of the Writing Center/Open Rank (Assista…