- Location details
- Hybid in New York City
- Salary range $48,000-$51,000
- Position type
- Organization type
- Nonprofit organization
- English, Arabic, Chinese, Classical languages, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Other languages, French, Germanic, Russian, Spanish
- Comparative literature, Literature, African American, Literature, American, Literature, British, Literature, global anglophone, Literature, non-English, Literature, other minority, Literature, multicultural
- Employment category
- New York
The Modern Language Association (MLA) seeks an editorial assistant to support the publications of the office of scholarly communication, primarily the association’s flagship journal, PMLA.
- Conducts a preliminary review of manuscripts submitted to PMLA.
- Selects readers for manuscripts.
- Acts as a liaison between authors and reviewers and between authors and members of the Editorial Board, facilitating the flow of submissions through peer review in ScholarOne.
- Prepares material for Editorial Board meetings and writes postmeeting letters to authors.
- Supports members of the Editorial Board and the Advisory Committee and updates committee websites.
- Prepares other publications for editorial work.
- Uses strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with supervisor, colleagues, MLA members, and external contacts.
- Maintains confidentiality in all matters that require it. Performs other duties as assigned by the head of periodical publications and the director of scholarly communication.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in language or literature
- Some college coursework in a language other than English
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, and Google Suite
- Strong writing skills
- Facility developing and maintaining spreadsheets
- Ability to work carefully and independently
- Ability to master new technologies with minimal instruction
- Solid organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in publishing a plus
This is a full-time, hybrid position, with an in-person requirement of one or more days a week at the MLA’s office in downtown Manhattan. Salary is commensurate with experience, in the range of $48,000–$51,000. The MLA provides generous vacation and sick time, flexible work hours, a 403(b) retirement plan, and individual health and dental plans with no shared premium cost. You must be able to work legally in New York State.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to EditorialAssist@mla.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Similar searches: Comparative literature, Full-time, Arabic, Chinese, Classical languages, English, French, Nonprofit organization, Germanic, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Other, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Literature, African American, Spanish, Literature, American, Other languages, Literature, British, Literature, global anglophone, Literature, non-English, Literature, other minority, Literature, multicultural, New York
More search results
Department Chair, Languages, Literatures, and Cul…
Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures, Saint Louis University
Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs - Predoctoral…
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
Assistant Professor of Peninsular Literature and …
Idaho State University - Department of Global Studies & Languages
Assistant Professor, Spanish
Colorado College Spanish & Portuguese Department
Distinguished Full Professor in American Jewish S…
The Effron Center for the Study of America