The David and Carolyn Brodsky Chair in U.S. Constitutional Democracy and Culture
About Salve Regina University:
Salve Regina University, ranked as one of the most transformative colleges in the United States by Money Magazine, is a comprehensive Catholic University located in the scenic coastal community of Newport, Rhode Island. The University's commitment to academic success and personal discovery extends beyond its historic campus into a dynamic world where the application of higher thinking and skill are most valued. Salve Regina offers bachelor's and master's degree programs, graduate certificates, and doctoral programs in humanities, international relations and nursing. Enrollment includes more than 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students from across the U.S. and around the world.
- Salve Regina University invites applications for the David and Carolyn Brodsky Chair in U.S. Constitutional Democracy and Culture.
- The newly endowed chair was established to promote teaching and research that examines the potential for civil discourse and civic engagement to deepen public understanding of the legacies of democratic ideals articulated in the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution, their meaning and limitations, their uneven application during the nation's history, and their potential to unify Americans in the twenty-first century.
- This is a tenured position beginning in late August 2023, at the rank of associate or full professor with an appointment in the department appropriate to academic training. An interdisciplinary approach to teaching and research as well as a profile as a public scholar are encouraged. The Brodsky Chair holder is expected to collaborate across campus to foster opportunities for students and community members to explore the roles of civil discourse and civic engagement in American democracy.
- The Brodsky Chair will have the opportunity to work with the University's Pell Center for International Relations and Public Policy to create research and public programming around challenges to American democracy as well as opportunities to strengthen it: https://salve.edu/pell-center-for-international-relations-and-public-policy
- Dedicated funds are available for forums, conferences, sponsored research, and student engagement.
- Like all members of the fulltime faculty at Salve Regina, the Brodsky Chair holder is expected to be a visible presence across the institution, teaching and working in-person on the University's beautiful and historic seaside campus in Newport.
- Duties include teaching two courses per semester, active research, and service/outreach. Salary will be commensurate with the rank, qualifications, and record of the successful candidate.
The successful candidate will have an established commitment to undergraduate education, a substantial record of research and publications, and evidence of teaching excellence meriting the rank of associate or full professor. Applications are welcome from scholars in a variety of disciplines.
Salve Regina University offers generous benefits to eligible employees including:
- health and dental coverage
- life insurance
- long-term disability
- 403B plan
- tuition benefits and more
Salve Regina University strives to provide equal opportunity in employment and education to all employees, students and applicants. No employee, student or applicant shall be discriminated against or harassed on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, age, marital or parental status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal or state law, in the administration of Salve Regina's employment policies, education policies, admission policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other University administered programs. In accordance with Title IX, it does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its educational programs or activities. Salve Regina is also committed to making its programs and campus accessible to its visitors and compliant with all applicable non-discrimination laws.
Applicants must apply online by providing a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and three professional references. Review of applications will begin on October 15, 2022, with the position closing on November 1, 2022. Pre-employment background checks and reference checks are required of successful candidates. Salve Regina University participates in E-verify.
More search results
Department Chair, Languages, Literatures, and Cul…
Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures, Saint Louis University
Ford Foundation Fellowship Programs - Predoctoral…
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine
Assistant Professor of Peninsular Literature and …
Idaho State University - Department of Global Studies & Languages
Assistant Professor, Spanish
Colorado College Spanish & Portuguese Department
Distinguished Full Professor in American Jewish S…
The Effron Center for the Study of America