Assistant Professor in Native American and/or First Nations Literature English Department
- Fort Lewis College
- Location details
- Durango, CO
- $54,000 per year
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- English education
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Teaching 21 credits each academic year in the Department of English, including core and elective courses for the major, composition courses, and courses in the General Education curriculum.
- Participating in department events and programming, annual curriculum and program assessment.
- Representing the department at recruitment events, commencement, and other campus-wide activities.
- Mentoring undergraduate student research.
- Developing and teaching online and/or hybrid courses for the English Department.
- Holding regular office hours.
- Engaging authentically with students, the department, and colleagues.
- Taking responsibility for all grading of student work and submitting grades at the end of each semester.
- Demonstrating a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
- Maintaining knowledge and awareness of digital accessibility, including the American with Disabilities Act and Section 508.
- Producing and remediating digitally accessible materials in accordance with FLC standards.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Specialized Skills and Experience:
- Candidates must have earned a Ph.D. in Native American and/or First Nations Literature by August 2023.
Preferred Education, Specialized Skills and Experience:
- The ability to teach post-1800 British Literature is desirable.
- Experience teaching composition courses.
Reports To / Supervisory Responsibility:
Chair of the English Department
- Moderate noise (i.e. business office with computers, phone, and printers, light traffic).
- Ability to work in a confined area.
- Ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period of time.
- Optional remote work privilege.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to, stand, sit, talk, hear, and use hands to operate a computer.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work.
- Light to moderate lifting is required.
Presentations at conferences is typical.