Writing Center Assistant Director: Multilingual Specialist
- Hamilton College
- Location details
- Clinton, NY
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Creative writing
- Employment category
- New York
Hamilton College seeks an Assistant Director with a specialty in multilingual support for its Writing Center. The College has a strong writing across the curriculum program, and the Writing Center is well integrated into student and faculty practice: 95% of students use the Center, and faculty work closely with the WC to support their teaching. The Multilingual Specialist helps manage the daily operations of the Writing Center, supervises and trains peer tutors, provides direct support to students, and develops student and faculty resources in consultation with the Director. The position serves as the campus expert on multilingual academic support and collaborates with other offices to provide tutor training and faculty development related specifically to support for multilingual students. The ideal candidate will be a creative individual enthusiastic about mentoring undergraduates. This is an 11-month position.
Peer Tutoring Support
- Participate in recruiting, hiring, supervising, and assessing peer tutors, with a focus on multilingual student support.
- In consultation with the Director, coordinate and conduct regular tutor training, mentoring, and ongoing professional development, with a focus on multilingual student support.
- Work directly with multilingual students needing substantive support in writing.
Program Resource Development
- Develop and assess resources pertaining to writing and peer tutoring pedagogy for multilingual writers.
- Support faculty writing pedagogy that reflects current best practices for multilingual writers.
- Assist the Director in developing and conducting writing workshops for multilingual students and faculty.
Collaboration with Other Offices
- Work with Directors of other Academic Resource Centers to support needs of multilingual students.
- Coordinate with Admissions, International Student Services, Opportunity Programs, and other campus offices to identify and support multilingual students with particular needs.
Program Administration and Assessment
- Coordinate with the Director to collect and utilize data from a variety of sources (e.g., surveys, classwork) to assess student learning outcomes with regard to writing and to assess administrative goals.
- Master's Degree in relevant field (applied linguistics, comparative or contrastive rhetoric, second language acquisition, TESOL, etc.)
- Minimum 3-5 years demonstrated experience in writing centers or equivalent academic support program
- Minimum 2-4 years demonstrated experience in ESOL/EAP or equivalent academic support program
- Experience teaching post-secondary writing to English language learners; understanding of the written communication needs of culturally and linguistically diverse learners
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Administrative experience in a writing center or equivalent academic support program
- Experience supervising and training peer tutors
- Experience working with students of diverse backgrounds
- Experience in student learning outcomes assessment and writing assessment
- Demonstrated commitment to the central role of writing in a liberal arts education
- Knowledge of current ESOL/EAP theory and practice, including conversations about linguistic rights and language justice
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong management, organizational, and teaching skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with a broad range of constituents
Submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three professional references to Interfolio addressed to Jennifer Ambrose, Writing Center Director, Hamilton College. Your cover letter should describe your experiences with diversity and inclusion and your potential to support Hamilton's commitment to the same.
Review of applications will begin November 10 and continue until position is filled.
To apply visit https://apply.interfolio.com/116440
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency