Lecturer in Spanish
- Location details
- Houston, TX, 77005
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- English, Spanish
- Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Center for Languages & Intercultural Communication (CLIC) at Rice University in Houston, TX is now accepting applications for a full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure track Lecturer in Spanish position to begin July 01, 2023.
This is a two-year appointment with a strong possibility of renewal, conditional on successful performance reviews.
Candidates with experience in teaching Spanish courses for specific purposes, especially Medical Spanish, will be given special consideration.
Job Duties for the successful candidate will include:
- Teaching Spanish to undergrad and graduate students with the possibility of teaching Spanish for specific purposes.
- Developing a coherently articulated program of instruction across proficiency levels.
- Implementing an innovative research-based curriculum.
- Designing, preparing, evaluating, and implementing syllabi, lesson plans, and assessment instruments
- Participating in the development and administration of students’ language proficiency assessment tools.
- Participating in professional development.
- Organizing and participating in language-related events and recruitment activities.
Must have received a Ph.D. degree in Spanish, Second Language Education or related field (or having completed all the requirements for the degree) by June 30, 2023, three years of experience in second language teaching, and one year of teaching Spanish language at the post-secondary level in the U.S. If the Ph.D. is not in Spanish or Second Language Education (or similarly worded field) but is in a related field, the candidate must have completed at least 3 graduate courses in language teaching methodologies or possess a certification in second language teaching methodologies at the time of interview. Teaching experience cannot substitute for coursework in second language acquisition.
Must have native or near-native ability to read, write and speak Spanish and English. Proficiency in both languages is demonstrated by successfully completing a Rice video/audio interview during the interview process.
- Demonstrated ability to teach a content course, preferably Spanish for the Medical Professions.
Applications that lack any of the requirements will not be considered for review.
- Cover letter
- Main aspects of your language teaching philosophy/approach.
- Describe innovative teaching project(s).
- How you envision yourself contributing to CLIC and to the Medical Spanish program.
- CV (maximum 5 pages)
- With a focus on language teaching experiences.
- Annotated Lesson Plan
- Explanation of learning outcomes and goals for all activities, written in English.
- Include any audio, video, or written supplementary materials.
- Include both lesson plan and student handouts with translations of the activity instructions from Spanish to English.
- Student Evaluations from the last three years.
- Three References: Names and contact information. No recommendation letters accepted or needed.
● Deadline for application submission: January 16, 2023
For Applications go to: https://apply.interfolio.com/116826
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Rice University Standard of Civility Serves as a representative of the University, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Rice community and with the public.
More search results
Visiting Assistant Professor of Literature and Cr…
Arts Professor of Film and New Media Program, Ope…
New York University Abu Dhabi
Accountability, Climate, Equity, and Scholarship …
Texas A&M University Department of English
Visiting Assistant Professor of the Writing Progr…
Visiting Assistant Professor of English