Assistant Professor of English (Two Positions)
- North Carolina Wesleyan University
- Location details
- Rocky Mount, North Carolina
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- English, English as a Second Language
- Composition and rhetoric
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
- North Carolina
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
Assistant Professor of English (Two Positions): Director of the Writing Center and Director of the Writing Program
North Carolina Wesleyan University invites applications for two (2) full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor of English positions – one to serve as Director of the Writing Center, one to serve as Director of the Writing Program – to begin August 2023, pending budgetary approval. The successful candidates will teach introductory and advanced undergraduate courses in the first-year composition sequence and the Writing Minor. The Director of the Writing Center and the Director of the Writing Program will work together to develop innovative writing programming, curricula, and support structures for all students enrolled at NCWU. Both positions carry a 3/3 course-load.
Required Qualifications for both position:
- Ph.D. in Composition, Rhetoric, or a related field is required by August 2023. ABDs must show evidence of degree completion prior to appointment.
- Evidence of successful undergraduate teaching, particularly in writing courses.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive pedagogy practices.
- Training or experience in writing center administration or writing program assessment, respectively.
- Expertise in one or more of the following scholarly areas: English as a Second Language instruction, digital/multimodal writing and instruction, professional and technical writing, writing across the curriculum, and/or writing in the disciplines.
Initial applications should include in ONE pdf file (saved with last name as file name): a letter of application, a curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts showing academic work in higher education and degrees received. Please indicate in application letter which position you are applying for. Three current letters of recommendation addressing academic qualifications and effective teaching experience may be sent under separate cover. Complete application files should be sent to the attention of Tammy Harrell, Manager of Faculty Records and Academic Projects, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete applications received by January 18, 2023 are assured full consideration, although recruitment will continue until the position is filled. Final hire(s) are contingent on budgetary approval.
North Carolina Wesleyan University, a liberal arts institution emphasizing teaching excellence and personal attention, is located in the eastern North Carolina city of Rocky Mount and serves approximately 1,500 students, including those in the Adult and Professional Studies program. Faculty are expected to engage students through the use of both traditional and innovative instructional strategies.
North Carolina Wesleyan University values a culture of respect, kindness, and understanding and does not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability. Women, historically underrepresented minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.