Assistant or Associate Professor (Romanian)
- Arizona State University
- Location details
- Tempe, AZ
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant, Professor, Associate
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Other languages
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The School of International Letters & Cultures (SILC) at Arizona State University (ASU) invitesapplications for a full-time, tenure-track appointment in Romanian Studies at the rank of either Assistant Professor or Associate Professor. Anticipated start date is August 2023.
In addition to expanding our range of course offerings in Romanian language, literature, and culture courses, the candidate will be expected to foster collaborations with colleagues in SILC to design courses with transnational and comparative approaches. For this reason, expertise and proficiency in another language (besides Romanian and English) is desirable, as is evidence of ability to design innovative courses on interdisciplinary and comparative topics. Experience leading study abroad programs is desirable, to support a summer program in Romania and Central Europe as well as Romanian Studies’ continuing relationships with Central European Universities. Desired disciplinary specializations include, but are not limited to, Gender Studies, Environmental Humanities, Medical Humanities, Global Studies, and Digital Humanities.
The candidate will be expected to contribute both content and upper-level language courses as well as culture courses depending on program needs. We seek a candidate who is willing to contribute to a thriving Romanian program by attracting students through curricular innovation and through fostering a sense of community outside the classroom. The ideal candidate is committed to inclusion and excellence in research and education.
Essential Functions of the Position
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Design and teach two interdisciplinary courses per semester in Romanian language and culture.
- Contribute to curriculum development in Romanian Studies and SILC more broadly.
- Supervise honors, masters, and Romanian Minor students.
- Conduct research and publish in top-tier journals and presses.
- Participate in professional and university service as appropriate for rank.
- Ph.D. in a Romanian-related humanities field, or other humanities field with substantial work on Romanian topics, required by time of appointment. ABD candidates will be considered, but must have Ph.D. conferred by time of appointment.
- Native or near-native proficiency in Romanian and English.
- Evidence of effective language teaching.
- Evidence of clear research agenda and scholarly publication trajectory.
- Demonstrated success meeting the needs of diverse student populations and/or reaching out to diverse communities.
- Experience in teaching content and language courses.
- Research and teaching expertise in interdisciplinary and comparative topics.
- Translator experience and ability to teach Translation Studies.
- Experience with leading groups abroad, especially in Central and Eastern Europe.
- Research and teaching expertise in a second language and culture offered by SILC.
- Near-native proficiency in another language.
- Ability to use basic instructional technology (e.g., Blackboard, Canvas, etc.).
- Experience in Gender Studies, Environmental Humanities, Medical Humanities, Global Studies, or Digital Humanities.
- Evidence of successful application for internal and external funding.
- Evidence of community engaged learning.
The College values cultural and intellectual diversity, and continually strives to foster a welcoming and inclusive environment. We are especially interested in applicants who can strengthen the diversity of the academic community.
Learn more about what The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has to offer by viewing https://thecollege.asu.edu/faculty. Arizona State University is a leading major public university committed to inclusion and excellence in research and education.
To guarantee full consideration, applicants must apply electronically to: http://apply.interfolio.com/117302 submitting a complete dossier that consists of the following:
1. Cover letter outlining how the applicant's experiences fit the qualifications listed above.
2. Curriculum Vitae.
3. Writing Sample in English (no more than 15 pages).
4. Teaching philosophy statement (no more than 2 pages).
5. A statement addressing how the applicant's past and/or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence (no more than 2 pages).
6. Three letters of recommendation. At least one of the letters should emphasize the applicant’s teaching effectiveness.
Applicant’s last name should appear in each uploaded file name. Cover letter can be addressed to Dr. Ileana Orlich, Search Committee Chair. Questions about the position should be directed to the search committee chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Initial application deadline is December 31, 2022; if not filled, applications will be reviewed every week thereafter until search is closed.
A background check is required for employment. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 Vaccination - Arizona State University is a federal contractor and subject to federal regulations which may require you to produce a record of a COVID-19 vaccination. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion’s webpage.
More search results
Assistant Professor, English And Writing
University of Tampa
Assistant Professor of German Studies (Tenure-Tra…
Dartmouth College Department of German Studies
Assistant Professor in Afro Latin American Studies
University California, Davis
Assistant Professor in Film/Media Production and …
University of Rochester Department of English
Assistant Professor of Italian Studies
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign