Assistant Professor, Educator, English, Composition
- Location details
- Cincinnati, OH
- Competitive salary range dependent on experience.
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Composition and rhetoric
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
- Academic Hiring Standards
- Hiring standards
The University of Cincinnati Department of English invites applications for an Assistant Professor-Educator instructional position in the English Composition Program, beginning August 15, 2023. Initial three-year appointment, non-tenure track, AAUP represented, with the expectation of long-term renewal contingent upon strong performance in the role. Teaching assignment is 9 credit hours per semester of first-year and intermediate composition, with occasional opportunities to teach other courses such as but not limited to Writing with Style and Modern English Grammar. There is a potential for a future appointment to an administrative role such as associate director of composition or undergraduate studies director.
The Composition Program offers funding for professional development activities while also encouraging faculty to share the resulting insights with our local teaching cohort. This person will have opportunities to collaborate with faculty and graduate students on curricular enrichment and outreach to other campus agencies who value student writing. For faculty with particular interests in pedagogical theory and history, the department houses the Lucille M. Schultz Archive of 19th-Century Composition and Rhetoric Textbooks and Handbooks, which is among the most comprehensive archives of its kind in the US.
- Teach primarily in-person first-year and intermediate composition classes which prepare students to produce researched writing for disciplinary, professional, and public contexts.
- Participate in departmental committees.
- Participate in professional development activities such as presentations at regional or national conferences.
Prior to effective date of appointment, Master’s degree in English or related field, as well as three academic years of teaching experience including all of the following, which may have been gained concurrently:
- Three (3) academic years of college composition teaching experience.
- One (1) academic year of experience in online or hybrid settings.
- One (1) academic year of experience in the first-year writing classroom.
- Must also provide evidence of at least one (1) academic term (can be concurrent with teaching) of departmental service on a committee or in an administrative role and at least one (1) conference presentation or academic publication.
For full consideration, applicants must complete our online application. In addition to the application, we require submission of:
- Cover letter.
- Current CV.
- One-page diversity and inclusion statement summarizing your contributions or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion as they relate to teaching, research, and/or mentoring.
Address letter to Dr. Cynthia Ris, Head, Dept. of English, University of Cincinnati, ML 0069, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0069. Review of candidates will begin on November 28, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants being considered will be asked to provide additional information and materials. Any questions can be directed to Samantha NeCamp at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
FOR ALL FACULTY HIRES OFFICIAL ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPTS WILL BE REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF HIRE
More search results
Assistant Professor of English
2024 Linguistics Tenure Track Assistant/Associate…
2024 Asian Literature Tenure Track Assistant/Asso…
2024 Translation and Interpretation Tenure Track …
Lecturers on History and Literature at Harvard Un…
Committee on Degrees in History and Literature at Harvard University