Assistant Professor, Africana Studies
- Location details
- Tucson, AZ
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Cultural studies, Humanities, Literature, African American
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The University of Arizona’s Department of Africana Studies invites applicants for the position of Assistant Professor, tenure-track beginning August 2023. We are looking for an interdisciplinary scholar focusing on Africa, Central America, South America, and/or the Caribbean in any of the following areas: culture, literature, family/gender studies, health, political science, history, religions, digital Africana studies, film, theater, dance, hip-hop studies. The successful candidate will teach all levels of our courses in Africana Studies; will contribute to program building; will develop and teach courses in the University´s General Education curriculum, and will have proven capacity and dedication to actively recruit Africana Studies majors. Please apply online here https://arizona.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/4/home/requisition/12260?c=arizona by January 2, 2023.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach four courses a year, including undergraduate courses in the candidate's particular area of interest.
- Contribute to curriculum development.
- Keep an active research agenda and record of publication commensurate with a research-intensive institution.
- Contribute to University initiatives focused on fostering diversity and inclusive excellence, enhancing student engagement, and mentoring students including those from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Assist in recruiting majors and minors.
- Contribute to departmental, college and university service.
- Participate in Departmental and College-wide activities such as Convocation, Welcome Back receptions, Homecoming, Commencement, Black History Month, and the Tucson Humanities Festival.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Robust research skills
- Demonstrated student-centered pedagogical knowledge; ability to serve the 21st-century educational needs of a diverse student population
- Superior communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to teach several current Africana Studies general education courses.
- Demonstrated interest in recruiting undergraduate Africana Studies majors and minors and Hip-Hop Studies minors.
More search results
Assistant Professor of English, 1-yr Term, Start …
Assistant Teaching Professor, Program in African …
The Program for Leadership and Character
Assistant Professor of African American Literature
3 Assistant Professors: African American Lit, Ame…
Department of English, Appalachian State University