Assistant Professor, East Asian Studies
- Location details
- Tucson, AZ
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Cultural studies, Humanities, Language teaching, Film and media studies, Linguistics, Literature, multicultural
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The Department of East Asian Studies at the University of Arizona invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor in Korean Studies with a focus on the post-1945 period, field of specialization open (with the exception of anthropology). Possible research areas include (but are not limited to) literature, history, language and culture, film, music, and religion. Teaching responsibility is four courses per year, including undergraduate courses and graduate courses on topics in the applicant’s area of specialization. The successful applicant will demonstrate a promising record of teaching and scholarship and contribute actively to the department’s plan to expand its East Asian Studies major by adding a Korean Studies emphasis. The successful candidate will teach all levels of our courses in East Asian and Korean Studies; will contribute to program building; will develop and teach courses in the University´s General Education curriculum, and will have enthusiasm for actively recruiting new majors and minors. Ph.D. in hand is expected by the time of the appointment, August 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To ensure your application materials are considered, please submit your application by the first review date of December 20, 2022.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach four courses a year, including undergraduate and graduate courses in the candidate's particular area of interest.
- Contribute to curriculum development.
- Keep an active research agenda and record of publication commensurate with a research-intensive institution.
- Contribute to University initiatives focused on fostering diversity and inclusive excellence, enhancing student engagement, and mentoring students including those from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Assist in recruiting majors and minors.
- Contribute to departmental, college and university service.
- Participate in Departmental and College-wide activities such as Convocation, Welcome Back receptions, Homecoming, Commencement, and the Tucson Humanities Festival.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Superior communication and collaboration skills.
- Demonstrated interest in recruiting undergraduate East Asian Studies majors and minors and graduate students.
- Ability to teach several current EAS general education courses.
- Ph.D. in Korean, East Asian Studies, or a related discipline in hand by the time of the appointment.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college level.
- Demonstrated scholarly achievement or significant scholarly potential.
- Native or near-native proficiency in Korean.
- Experience with effectively communicating in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Record of publication.
- Evidence of ability to secure external funding.
- Experience and expertise with online/hybrid teaching, multimedia technology, and an aptitude for creative and innovative teaching.
- Experience using cutting-edge teaching methods and/or curricular design to effectively promote student learning and engage a diverse student body.
- Experience with study abroad programs and/or living experiences abroad.
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, Arizona, Cultural studies, Professor, Assistant, Film and media studies, Humanities, Korean, Language teaching, Linguistics, Literature, multicultural
More search results
2023 English Tenure Track Assistant/Associate Pro…
Assistant Professor, Spanish Linguistics (tenure-…
Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures, Saint Louis University
Assistant Professor - 930676
East Carolina University
Assistant or Associate Professor of Asian and Mid…
Assistant Professor Spanish Linguistics (Tenure T…
University of Missouri