Assistant Professor of English
- Westminster College
- Location details
- Fulton, Missouri
- Position type
- Professor, Assistant
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Tenure or tenure track
The Department of English at Westminster College is seeking an Assistant Professor of English and Coordinator of Writing to start August 15, 2023. PhD or ABD in Rhetoric and Composition, English, Journalism/Media Studies, or related field required. Teaching load is 8 courses/year, but the successful candidate will receive 1-2 course releases per year as long as they fill the role of Writing Coordinator. Course load to include developmental writing, freshman composition, Introduction to Journalism, and other writing courses in area of specialization. In addition, the faculty member will participate in academic advising, new course development, and other departmental functions.
As the Coordinator of Writing, the successful candidate will coordinate the first-year writing program, hire, train, mentor, and evaluate adjunct faculty (including summer terms), and oversee the Writing Lab. Research/professional development are expected. This position is 12-month, tenure-track. During the summer months, the Writing Coordinator will teach at least one course, place incoming students in writing courses, and recruit and train adjuncts for lower-level writing courses.
- Teaching load is 8 courses/year, but the successful candidate will receive 2 course releases/year as long as they fill the role of Writing Coordinator. Courses to include ENG 100 Developmental Writing, ENG 103 Academic Writing, ENG 260 Journalism, and other courses in area of specialization as needed;
- Assist with placement of incoming students in ENG 100/103;
- Evaluate transfer credit for composition courses for the Registrar's Office;
- Coordinate ENG 100/103 schedule with other academic departments (FYE, FLG, Math);
- Assist with the development and implementation of ENG 100/103 curriculum;
- Coordinate and oversee hiring, training, mentoring, and evaluation of adjunct faculty, including those in the Online Program and those teaching summer online courses;
- Coordinate and oversee ENG 100 and 103 offerings as part of the Degree in Three Program;
- Coordinate and oversee hiring and mentoring of Writing Lab tutors;
- Teach courses in the First Year Experience Program, as needed by the Department;
- Advise students in the English major;
- Develop and maintain research/professional development.
Education: Earned Doctorate (or ABD) in Rhetoric and Composition, English, Journalism/Media Studies, or related field required (strongly preferred); OR a Master's degree in Rhetoric and Composition, English, Journalism/Media Studies with experience in college-level teaching and leadership.
1) Cover letter
2) Current curriculum vitae
3) Statement of teaching philosophy and research direction
4) Unofficial graduate transcripts
5) Three letters of recommendation
Full consideration will be given to all applications received by January 13th, 2023.
Westminster College encourages and gives full consideration to all applicants for admission, financial aid, and employment. The College is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. The College does not discriminate in access to, treatment of, or employment in, its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, veteran status, marital status, disability, or genetic information.
Inquiries about compliance with this prohibition should be directed to:
Associate Vice President & Chief HR Officer/Title IX Coordinator
501 Westminster Ave, Washington West, 2nd floor
Fulton, MO 65251
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, English, Professor, Assistant, Missouri