Assistant Professor Instruction, Spanish, OHIO University
- Location details
- Athens, Ohio
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Position type
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- Language teaching
- Employment category
- Tenure Status
- Non-tenure track
The Department of Modern Languages at Ohio University seeks a full-time, non-tenure-track instructor of Spanish at the rank of Assistant Professor of Instruction. This is a full-time appointment with annual renewal contingent on successful reviews. Assistant Professors of Instruction are eligible for promotion to the rank of Associate Professors of instruction after a period of successful employment with a multi-year contract. We welcome applications from colleagues in Spanish, Cultural Studies, Latinx/e Studies and Spanish for Specific Purposes.
The successful candidate will contribute to the department primarily through teaching and service commitments. The course load is 4 /4 (four courses per semester) and includes courses both at the graduate and undergraduate level, both in-person and online using educational technologies. The candidate could be required to teach all levels of language, culture, literature, linguistics and/or other content courses across the full spectrum of the curriculum, depending on departmental needs and the candidate’s qualifications. The candidate will also contribute to curricular development and assessment and enhance ongoing recruitment and retention strategies.
Minimum qualifications for this position:
- Ph.D. in Spanish, Hispanic Studies, Latinx Studies, or closely related field.
- Ph.D. must be completed by the start date of the appointment.
- Native or near-native fluency in Spanish and English.
- Experience teaching college-level Spanish language classes.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Training and/or experience teaching asynchronous online Spanish language (or other) courses.
- Experience with interdisciplinary teaching.
- Experience with proficiency-based instruction.
- Experience in the field of intercultural competence.
- Experience achieving inclusive excellence in teaching and learning.
- Interest in working with experiential learning.
Please complete the online application and attach the following required documents when prompted:
- A detailed cover letter describing your qualifications and the reasons why you are interested in the position for which you are applying
- A teaching philosophy
- Two sample syllabi (preferably for content courses)
- A list of at least three (3) professional references with current and complete contact details including an email address.
Review of application materials will begin immediately. The position will remain open until filled. For full consideration, please apply at this link, by January 31, 2023.
Ohio University is proud of its rich history, diverse campuses, international communities, and beautiful Appalachian settings. As part of our ongoing efforts to provide and support a transformative learning experience, we affirm our commitment to fostering a welcoming, respectful, diverse, and inclusive workforce and community. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, ethnicity, national origin, national ancestry, sex, pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military service or veteran status, mental or physical disability, or genetic information. Ohio University is an equal access/equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Similar searches: Full-time, 4-year college or university, Lecturer/instructor, Language teaching, Spanish, Ohio
More search results
Lecturer in Spanish and Portuguese
Rice University’s Center for Languages & Intercultural Communication
Senior Lecturer in French Language
University of Kentucky
Assistant Teaching Professor in German Studies
University of Kansas Department of Slavic, German, and Eurasian Studies
Lecturer of Spanish
Coastal Carolina University, Department of Languages and Intercultural Studies