- John Carroll University
- Location details
- University Heights, OH
- Position type
- Administrator, Other
- Organization type
- 4-year college or university
- English, French, Spanish
- Language teaching, Linguistics
- Employment category
Coordinator of the Language Learning Center
John Carroll University
Posting Number: AS359P
Open Until Filled: Yes
The Coordinator of the Language Learning Center develops, maintains, and promotes the integration of an interactive multimedia center for students to enhance their language proficiency and global awareness. The coordinator maintains pedagogical expertise and ongoing engagement in the language classroom. In cooperation with the Chair of CMLC, the Coordinator supervises and has budgetary responsibility for the management, scheduling, and ordering of Language Learning Centers audio-visual and computer resources for faculty and student use. The coordinator advances integrative but also individualized learning, facilitates links between curriculum and co-curriculum, and supports multiple levels of assessment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach a 1-1 load of language courses
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of technology-assisted language pedagogy
- Advise and collaborate with faculty to develop technology-enhanced curricular materials
- Coordinate global-learning activities in the LLC
- Coordinate the acquisition and maintenance of equipment in the LLC in collaboration with IT
- Hire, train, and supervise LLC lab assistants
- Administer assessments in collaboration with language coordinators
- Administer language placement exams to all new students in collaboration with relevant staff
- Analyze and report placement data, assessment data, and language course registrations
- Manage language acquisition software (such as Transparent Language) and report results to language instructors
- Manage LLC budget
- Seek funding through grants and other resources
- Master's degree in applied linguistics, second language acquisition, or educational technology
- Experience teaching a language, ideally Spanish and/or French
- A strong understanding of the teaching-learning process: curriculum design, development, and delivery
- Expertise in language learning technology
- Familiarity with testing technology and assessment
- Familiarity with course management systems such as Canvas at advanced level
- Familiarity with web authoring (e.g.,Dreamweaver, html)
- Ability to work collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff from across the university
- Interest in understanding and supporting John Carroll's mission to inspire individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service in the region and in the world.
- PhD in applied linguistics, second language acquisition, or educational technology
- Applied coursework or professional certification in instructional design,media production, and/or educational technology
- Experience training instructors,especially on the pedagogically effective use of technology
- Familiarity with instructional design principles and an ability to analyze and integrate trends in the use of educational technology within higher education
- Ability/experience in grant-writing
Normal Working Hours and Conditions
Generally, 37.5 hours per week. Some evening or weekend work (typically around program events) will be necessary.
Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in an office setting; to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time; to occasionally stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, and twist; to lift, carry, push, and/or pull light to moderate amounts of weight; to operate office equipment requiring repetitive hand movement and fine coordination including use of a computer keyboard; to travel to other office locations and to verbally communicate to exchange information.
Hours Full Time
FLSA Exempt (Salary)
To apply for the position, please visit: https://jcu.peopleadmin.com/postings/1782
About John Carroll University
John Carroll University is a private, coeducational, Jesuit Catholic university founded in 1886 and dedicated to developing women and men with the knowledge and character to lead and to serve. The University is located in University Heights, Ohio, an attractive residential suburb 10 miles east of downtown Cleveland (metro. area pop. 1.38 million). Academically, the University consists of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Boler College of Business, which both include graduate programs. Degree programs are offered in nearly 60 major fields in the arts, social sciences, natural sciences, and business at the undergraduate level, and in select areas at the master's level.
The University enrolls approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and 700 graduate students and has a student-to-faculty ratio of 14:1. John Carroll University is one of 28 Jesuit universities in the United States and has been listed in U.S. News & World Report magazine's top 10 rankings of Midwest regional universities for more than 20 consecutive years.
John Carroll University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Assistant Professor in Second Language Acquisitio…
Connecticut College (Hispanic Studies Department)
Assistant Professor of TESOL
Mississippi State University- English Department
Sava Ranisavljevic Postdoctoral Fellowship in Jud…
Northwestern Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Tenure Track Position in Indigenous Studies
Department of English - Ryerson University
Professor and Department Chair (English)
UTSA Department of English